We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent tsunami scare

Which Ko Phi Phi Don hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Recent tsunami scare

My family will be arriving at ko phi phi don on Tuesday next week and are interested in knowing if the recent scare has affected the island in any way. My heart sank when the news broke about the earthquake. Thank goodness we didn't see anything like the previous disaster.

But I feel this must have been a big phsycological blow for many especially at this time of year.

Cheers everyone .

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent tsunami scare

As nothing happened, it didn't have any affect on PhiPhi.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,780 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent tsunami scare

This was not the first warning since the Tsunami nor will it be the last. Whilst people, both locals and tourists in country, and friends and relatives at home, were understandably alarmed by the Alert, they should take comfort that the system worked. If it had been in place in 2004 then the casualties of that dreadful event not only in Thailand but in areas far worse affected throughout the Indian Ocean would have been much less.

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent tsunami scare

I believe, it had an affect, specifically on Thais. Yesterday's Songkran festivities in Ao Nang turned out a little crowd. There were mainly foreigners celebrating. Usually there is a huge one way traffic jam through Ao Nang with Thais sitting on pick-ups and splashing water. This was not the case yesterday and the police allowed traffic to flow both ways all day long.

4. Re: Recent tsunami scare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 19:16