We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about our upcoming trip - travelling with a baby

Vancouver, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Questions about our upcoming trip - travelling with a baby

We are flying into Roatan mid March, and we have booked a condo in the West Bay Village area. We are meeting up with a group of other people staying in the same area, but I have some general questions that I would really appreciate some feedback on! We are travelling with our 6 month old son, will be cooking most of our own meals and probably staying pretty close to our accomodations. My questions are:

- renting a car - we thought about renting a car when we arrived, so we can pick up some groceries & such, probably returning the car the next day. I am not sure how far away our condo is from the airport... Any suggestions of places to rent a car?

- groceries - looking for suggestions on a place with a good selection of amenities! I am also wondering if the grocery stores will have items for the baby (i.e., diapers, wipes) so I don't need to pack them!

I will probably have more questions as the dates get closer, but i appreciate any tips/suggestions you may have!!

Thanx.

-

KY
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about our upcoming trip - travelling with a baby

Personally, I would let someone else do the grocery shopping and have it waiting for you when you arrive at your unit. Sue-Ann with 'atyourservice' can help you. Let her know exactly what you need, and she'll get back with you about availability and price. We used her a few weeks ago. When we arrived, I went to the fridge and grabbed a beer, and headed for the beach.

www.atyourserviceroatan.com

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about our upcoming trip - travelling with a baby

Ask your taxi driver from the airport to stop at Eldons supermarket on the wasy to West Bay. His wait charge will be a lot less than a rental car.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
496 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about our upcoming trip - travelling with a baby

I agree with Julian, Stop on the way there,Buy some staples, get what you need, it is on the way, get an idea of whats available and then if you need to make a trip mid stay you can taxi it for more. Between Eldons and Plaza mar next door you should find all you need

I hear that Sueann and the service is great but I would have a hard time nailing down everything I needed and end up going to the store on my own anyway, often I do not know just what I want until I see it is there and if you request something not avilable then who makes the decision as to what to to? Just some things to think about

Edited: 16 February 2012, 22:09
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about our upcoming trip - travelling with a baby

Distances are really short, so you don't have to feel that you are isolated when you get to West Bay... once you figure out what you didn't get on your first grocery stop, you can get a ride into Coxen Hole on the minibus for next to nothing or a communal taxi for a little more. My wife is in Sandy Bay and she considiered is a little adventure to flag down the minibus and ride into Coxen Hole ($1) and then grabbed a communal taxi with her groceries for $2.50. West Bay is farther away, but even a regular solo taxi will be less than a day's rental of a car. The only way to get the costs at all reasonable is to do a months rental, and those are snapped up many months in advance...

There was a recent thread on visiting Roatan with children. You might want to review it for some good tips on keeping your child safe from malaria...

Roatan
Level Contributor
621 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about our upcoming trip - travelling with a baby

Contact Caribbean Rent a Car for a rental...they will often deliver wherever you need it. Yes you can get diapers and wipes at the grocery stores.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
369 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about our upcoming trip - travelling with a baby

Glad to find that out, as that is our plan to get groceries. However, no one I've talked to has tried the minibus route. Does it run to West Bay, or just to West End?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about our upcoming trip - travelling with a baby

Here's a pretty good introduction to the minibuses - except it doesn't answer your question! Only mentions West End...

http://www.roatanisland.net/cruiseship.htm

I find all kinds of references to the minibus between Coxen Hole and West End, but no mention of West Bay being served regularly... odd...

ont
Level Contributor
424 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about our upcoming trip - travelling with a baby

I saw the mini bus picking up folks in front of west bay mall on acouple different days but as it was obviously mostly locals riding i would assume it would only be around for convenient work schedules ..... start and finish times ....... where as in west end we saw the mini bus at many different times on each day of the week

also just so you are aware and it wont be a surprize to you i have ( not that i watched each car) but i never seen a child car seat in any of the cars...... rental,,,,,taxi,,,,,,, or islander owned just an FYI incase that is a concern to you

I personally would not have a paroblem with it

but I know for a fact my sister would of walked 5 miles carrying her child versus putting him in a car with no car seat hahahaha

if you can get the taxi to stop and wait while you shop while you are on route from the airport is your best bet you will find enough of what you are needing at plaza mar or across the street at eldons

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about our upcoming trip - travelling with a baby

thank you for your responses - definetly gave me something to think about! Zoey, I am the same as your sister, so I am bringing his car seat with us!!

10. Re: Questions about our upcoming trip - travelling with a baby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2013, 10:33
Get answers to your questions about West End
Recent Conversations