We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers need help planning a one week holiday!

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
482 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
First timers need help planning a one week holiday!

Mum, Dad and grown up daughter travelling to Porec (first time to Croatia for all of us) in less than two weeks with absolutely no plans. This is very unlike us and I am going into panic planning mode!

We are staying at Laguna Galijot appartments for one week.

All fit and well, enjoy a good mix of relaxing, soaking up the sun, reading and exploring local sites and soaking up the local culture. Not forgetting sampling the local cuisine!

We love boat trips, evening walks, idillyic sunbathing spots and dips in the sea.

We don’t want a full blown action packed holiday, we are going for some down-time but would like to feel like we have done and seen enough to feel like we saw a good amount of this part of Croatia.

One drawback – we won’t be renting a car.

Please help me come up with an itinerary and settle my control-freak mind?!

Thank you X

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
193 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers need help planning a one week holiday!

Hi Hayleyh one boat trip to recommend is to Rovinj we booked down in porec harbour sorry can't remember name of the boat but it looked like a wooden gallon fabulous day out including lunch,saw dolphins and the scenery was stunning.lots of lovely walks and I think the little land train goes near where you are staying. Porec itself is lovely for a wander,have a drink up in the tower at the main harbour(worth the climb).We didn't really do any other trips as such as only there for a week and were happy to potter and discover this beautiful piece of Croatia.

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers need help planning a one week holiday!

Hi,i've been to istria a few times, its a great place and is tuscany for half the price. Istria is an easy place for day trips, with many operators at bargain prices. In istria I would recommend going to Venice for the day from Porec, by hovercraft. Other nice options include a trip to Lake Bled in Slovenia, a trip to the Plitvice National Park, a trip to Pula to see the amphitheatre, or try the 'Parenzana train'

Im going again in a few weeks, enjoy your time.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
482 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers need help planning a one week holiday!

All of these sound fab! Any ideas of transfer times? We're only there for a week so I'm really conscious not to waste too much time on buses, etc.

Thanks X

England
Level Contributor
76 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers need help planning a one week holiday!

The sunset dolphin watching bot trip is so worth doing if the dolphins oblige. We were very lucky and saw dozens of them all round the boat. Pick an evening when the sea is very calm.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,791 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timers need help planning a one week holiday!

Search the numerous posts in this forum for many, many ideas of things to do and see in the area!

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First timers need help planning a one week holiday!

Without a car, most best-known places will be hard to get to, like the hilltop towns Istria is known for. But they are also along the Parenzana rail so if you do find an opportunity I would surely recommend it. You can catch glimpses in this short movie of mine (real-time ones available if you'd like to see more): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2bSBqrcREY Plitvice Lakes and Lake Bled, from Poreč, without a car, would probably be pushing it too far. But, you didn't even say anything about your interests, except relaxed time and evening walks so I would recommend to perhaps simply walk along the coast, especially to the south where there's a paved path right from the start. You can see it here, coming the other way (into Poreč): https://www.youtube.com/watch… To see Poreč itself, just move on to the next movie (#154): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v0co6b0Bs0 (this is a short one, summarizing many things, with a link to the real-time movie).

But as Kathmull said, a boat ride to Rovinj would be a great choice, especially if also including parts of the Lim channel (along the way). Both Rovinj's and Vrsar's coasts are incredible.

7. Re: First timers need help planning a one week holiday!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2018, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Porec
Recent Conversations