We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

local buses

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
local buses

i would like to visit Vrsar which is about 6 miles away. are the local buses regular throughout the day? also is it possible to walk all the way along the coast path?

Mentioned in this post
Vrsar
Vrsar
Istria, Croatia
Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: local buses

Walking from Poreč to Vrsar along the coast would be possible for the most part as most camping sites either don't have any gates or the gates are open (for pedestrians and cyclists). However. The coastline is very... well, not a straight line. :) The distance would probably double, compared to the main road and even if you're fit enough, you might give up simply for the lack of time.

Renting a bike and using it to get to Vrsar, using basically the same paths, would be a far better option. I actually did just that, in the opposite direction. Ok, I went from Vrsar through Poreč all the way to Umag. It's about 32 km by the main road but MY route ended up being ~66 km and it took me ~7 hours (!) because I would stop many times to take pictures, enjoy the view, ride through and around towns, etc. Anyway, it's a brilliant area and I would surely recommend it. And as I film my rides, you can see it in real time. This is the link to the short movie (3:30 minutes) but there's a ling near the end to the full one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h4gEiQ-KJ4

The problem with a bike is what to do with it once you do get to Vrsar. You will find it difficult to go into places like churches and museums, for example, although most restaurants and pubs will have outdoor areas where you can have the bike right by your table. Going for a swim should not be too much of a problem as a rental bike will surely be less valuable than your personal belongings left on the beach as well. :)

Btw if you do choose to ride a bike, you could also go a bit further and ride on this rgeat forest path starting just outside of Vrsar and going to the Kloštar village. A bit on the main road and you reach a great sightseeing platform above the Lim channel. You can also go all the way down, perhaps go on a boat ride in the channel (I think just to about half of it, due to fishing nurseries, not sure), go for a swim, visit a cafe or check the nearby cave. You can see that area here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nezIrAZz5O8 The other side also has its moments and a great path, plus one... detoured viewpoint (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=easJoI4gL0c) However, the climbs on that side or back to Vrsar are very hard and on uncomfortably narrow roads, with lots of traffic in high season, including campers. :)

As for the buses (if you still remember the question) they should work perfectly fine and you can see the location of the bus station in Vrsar on any online map. Some buses may not go to that main station but use a stop on or near the main road.

Mentioned in this post
Vrsar
Vrsar
Istria, Croatia
Umag
Umag
Istria, Croatia
Umag, Croatia
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: local buses

You can also rent or borrow a bike.

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: local buses

Can I hijack this one!

We are coming across to Istria on 18th July for a week and staying in Kadumi (5km east of Porec old town). We have a car but plan to pop into town for a couple of nights and get a bit wobbly on the local liquid refreshments. With this in mind i've tried to find the bus timetables between Porec and Kadumi but its all very vague so over to the local experts:

What time do the buses run to and what is the return price in Kunas?

Would a taxi be comparable for 4 passengers?

Mentioned in this post
Istria
Istria
Croatia
Porec
Porec
Istria, Croatia
4. Re: local buses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2018, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Porec