We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Porec

8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time to Porec

Hi I am looking to go to Porec 28th August for a week with my husband and two teenage sons (15 & 17) staying at the Hotel Mediteran.We want to do the trip to Venice but wondered are there any other trips you would recommend? Also what are prices of wine, beer, food to eat/drink out like? Is the weather still very hot at this time of year? Any other tips you can think of? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Porec
Porec
Istria, Croatia
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
15 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: First time to Porec

Thanks. Really looking forward to it!

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: First time to Porec

I can't say whether you'll find a wealth of organized (day) trips but if you tell us what your interests are, I'm sure we can give advice on how to make great tours for yourselves. I can personally give you tips on hiking and biking, nature parks and generally interesting places/landmarks in Istria and around. I've also biked almost the entire length of Istria's west coast (Poreč included) and can show you most of it in real time (Novigrad to Umag section is still not available). Have also explored some of the forest/coastal and also hike/bike paths all over. Can't help with accommodation and food but do know there are many vineyards and private wineries. Even a "wine route". So, it all depends on what you like to do and whether you only wish to spend time together.

Btw, Istria is the largest peninsula in Croatia (and Adriatic Sea). Poreč is on its west coast, right around in the middle. Best known places are the region's capital Pula (south), with international airport, then Rovinj, which sort of fights Poreč for the title of the most popular. Some smaller places on the west coast are Vrsar, Novigrad and Umag (known for tennis tournament held in July). Most of the west coast is... I'll say flat. The famous medieval hilltop towns that chefathome mentioned are sort of centrally located in the hills, while the east coast is towered by Mt. Učka (the highest in Istria) and known for Opatija (considered to have started tourism in Croatia) and also small fishing village of Volosko, Lovran and the most popular beach - Mošćenička Draga. Just to sum it up. But your tours could very well include Slovenia and even Italy (at least Trieste area) and perhaps Gorski Kotar. Again, depending on your interests.

Mentioned in this post
Istria
Istria
Croatia
Novigrad
Novigrad
Istria, Croatia
Umag
Umag
Istria, Croatia
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Pula
Pula
Istria, Croatia
Vrsar
Vrsar
Istria, Croatia
Opatija
Opatija
Primorje-Gorski Kotar County, Croatia
Volosko
Volosko
396 Reviews
Opatija, Croatia
Italy
Italy
Europe
Trieste
Trieste
Province of Trieste, Italy
Level Contributor
6 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: First time to Porec

Porec and the whole of Istria is wonderful to my taste been going since 1967.Its changed quite a bit since communist times pretty much all for the better .Restaurants hotels service food all very good. seafood second to none. Pizza Pasta salad always so fresh.(only place my son will eat salad ) excellent grilled meats.. fish beware it can be very pricey best tip don't bother with bottled wine.. local karaf Malvasia white is very good..Plenty of eye candy for the boys ha It's always safe day or night have fun i guarantee you will be back .

Mentioned in this post
Porec
Porec
Istria, Croatia
Istria
Istria
Croatia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: First time to Porec

Hi, My wife and i will be returning to Porec in June, we love the place, food,drink is not expensive. There are boat trips out to Rovinj and Vsar with a fish lunch included, air conditioned mini bus trips provide a chance to see the internal beauty of Croatia, a walk after dinner at night is a must around the brightly lit streets of Porec. there is plenty of choice in the local tours offices in Porec. We will be hiring a taxi boat to take us to Rovinj for a day out there, so you have plenty to choose from. You can go dolphin watching as well, you will not be stuck for something to do........John....:)

Mentioned in this post
Porec
Porec
Istria, Croatia
Rovinj
Rovinj
Istria, Croatia
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: First time to Porec

I've been to Porec area now 4 times and back there again for the 5th visit in 2 weeks. I'd agree with all of the other comments and a car is a must to do most of them. I'd rank them thus:

Plitvice - Out of this world place. Very long day though. Approx 3.5 hours each way and up to 10 miles walking. Oh so worth it though.

Slovenia- 3 places all great. Lipica, Postojna caves and Predjama castle (stunning sight). All within a 20 mile radius. Can do all 3 in a day at a push. DONT do on a saturday though as the border crossing between Slovenia and Croatia can be 6 hours of hell (I speak from bitter experience)

Rovinj, Pula and Kamenjac peninsula- Can do all 3 in a day. A bit for everyone.

Hill Villages- 4 or 5 to visit. My favourites were Motovun and Hum. Combine them for a pottering about kind of day.

Baredine Caves- Good to kill an hour or so. We went when it rained.

Porec Old town- 2-3 hours was plenty for us. We actually quite like Novigrad too and the drive over the little blue bridge is a bit unusual.

This time we are going for something a bit different and a trip to the north of Slovenia to Lake Bled and the Julian Alps. We drove through there briefly last year on the way down from the UK and Mt Triglav is stunning and whole region is very quiet. Scenery on a par with Switzerland and Austria but without the crowds.

Mentioned in this post
Porec
Porec
Istria, Croatia
Postojna
Postojna
Inner Carniola Region, Slovenia
Predjama Castle
Predjama Castle
2,626 Reviews
Postojna, Slovenia
Croatia