We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Porec

8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time to Porec

Hi I am looking to go to Porec 28th August for a week with my husband and two teenage sons (15 & 17) staying at the Hotel Mediteran.We want to do the trip to Venice but wondered are there any other trips you would recommend? Also what are prices of wine, beer, food to eat/drink out like? Is the weather still very hot at this time of year? Any other tips you can think of? Thanks.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,789 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Porec

I highly recommend renting a car for Istria. There are multitudinous daytrip possibilities! Click on my name and you'll see heaps of ideas including Rovinj, Vrsar, hilltop villages, Pula, Brijuni Island...

The weather is still usually very hot at the end of August, 30C+.

Prices vary a lot, as everywhere else, but expect to pay anywhere from 50 kn to pizza to 60 kn for pasta/risotto to 100+ for meat to more for fresh fish which is sold by weight. Spit grills are very good...the best one is at Gradina, near Vrsar. Good value for money and delicious! Gelato is 7 or 8 kn per scoop. Wine is often cheaper than pop.

Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Porec

Definitely going for 'wine cheaper than pop'! Thanks for the advice. We are in Wales so is it better to exchange money here or wait until we are there?

Umag, Croatia
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Porec

Local beer is also cheaper than pop. You'll get better exchange rates in Croatia.

8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Porec

Thanks. It's sounding better by the minute!

Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,789 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Porec

My earlier response was rushed...sorry about that. If you rent a car, you can visit the charming hilltop villages of Motovun, Hum, Buzet, Oprtalj, Gračišće, Grožnjan and Završje. You could see about three in one day as they are small.

Another nice day trip idea is to travel by tourist boat to Vrsar and Rovinj; the boat stops about an hour in Vrsar and two to three hours in Rovinj.

Not sure whether ziplining would be of interest to your sons but there is a lovely zipline over the gorge at Pazin. There are also two huge water parks, Istralandia and Acquacolours. There's also a cave near Poreč called Baredine.

If you go to Pula (recommended) you should visit Cape Kamenjak...very beautiful coastline with many coves and swimming opportunities and walks.

Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Porec

Thanks so much for all the info. When you visit a new country it's always great to speak to people who actually knows the area rather than rely on travel agents. One question I forgot to ask is about mosquitos. Are there any of the little beasts at this time of year?

Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,789 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Porec

Such a pity travel agents often promote places they've never even personally seen!

There can be mosquitoes then but they never bother me. Either bring your favourite repellent just in case or buy when you arrive.

USA
Level Contributor
94 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Porec

As for wine and beer being cheaper than pop, I can't resist chiming in:

- it all depends on what one pays for pop, in which country

- and what quality of spirits you get

- what do you say to milk being cheaper than gasoline?

Years ago in Yugoslavian days we drove down the Dalmatian Coast, and had to load up for the return with a few bottles of Slivovitz (plum brandy). Hidden under the car seat, after a significant pothole in the road, one of them broke. You can imagine what the border guard smelled when we rolled down the window.

England
Level Contributor
76 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Porec

The trip to the Postojna caves and Lipica stud farm in Slovenia is amazing.

England
Level Contributor
76 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Porec

Adding.....The evening boat trips out to see the dolphins is lovely but pick a calm day. I saw dolphins from back of Isabella Island last year too.

Get answers to your questions about Porec
Recent Conversations