We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montenegro Review

Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Montenegro Review

Hi I thought I would just post this regrading a day trip I went on this week to Montenegro, speaking with others it seems that people are not told/aware of a few things and just thought it could/might be useful for someone.

We booked the trip to Montenegro through Michael at Cavtat travel (highly recommend him he was so informative, generally nice and cheaper than others- including cheapest for the water taxi to Dubrovnik !) Paid around the equivalent to £40 for the trip, very reasonable. Pick up was at 8:30am, it took about 15-20 minutes to get the the boarder, but then around 2 hours (possibly more) to get through this boarder. I understand it was August and busy but equally I believe this is quite common on a daily basis. We were behind a few coaches and it seemed to take forever for each coach. When it was our turn, the police get on the bus take everyone’s passports have a look at everyone and then take the passports, around 10 minutes later the police man comes back the passports return and your free to leave. Next to the Montenegro boarder, we waited here around 10 minutes.. they didn’t even look at our passports just the information the guide had given them. The guide explained that if herself and the driver take them fresh water they are happy and will let you through quickly.

Then we get into Montenegro, quick stop at a shopping centre for a drink, toilet, fag break and back on the road to Budva. So much traffic that it took maybe an hour to hour and half to get here- not ideal. We had 1.5 hours here and went for lunch, which was fine, we had a quick browse about and not much to write home about, actually has some vibes of Benidorm (nightclubs etc) a beach front with restaurants and an old town. Nowhere I would return to. Back on the coach and luckily to drive to Kotor was much quicker although the guide did tell us it can take 2 hours as traffic is so bad at times. Kotor is absolutely beautiful, it included an optional guided tour for 30 mins which was informative. It’s stunning in Kotor, Old town, walls, shops, nice restaurants and bars- we had 2 hours 45 mins here.

On leaving Kotor we went back around the coach which included driving past our lady of the rocks (island with a church on basically) again beautiful scenery. It took a while in traffic to get back maybe an hour or 1.5 hours.

We got back to the boarder (Montenegro), luckily less of a queue but coaches from Albania. The guide explained she would ask if we could go through first as they would be along time checking each passport of these coaches and we wouldn’t want to be behind them at the Croatian boarder. Luckily they let us through which took around 20 minutes. We learnt that they had found 6 people with fake passports on the Albanian coach.

Next Croatian boarder and more Albanian coaches, the driver went through the lorry lane to attempt to beat this and luckily he did. However we still were waiting 45 minutes to an hour. We returned back at around 9pm.

It was a 13 hour day and we had been told we would return for 6:30-7:15.. others had missed dinner reservations etc because of this.

In hindsight knowing this I’m not sure we would have done this trip, which is a real share Kotor was beautiful. It’s a place that is now ticked off my list, but I felt like this might help some of you thinking of doing this trip. :)

16 replies to this topic
Leeds, England...
Level Contributor
45 posts
14 reviews
11. Re: Montenegro Review

We did the Montenegro trip yesterday through Tui and Gullivers travel and paid about £45 each. For our trip we went by coach, little boat, big boat then coach Home . We had an amazing visit! We crossed the border by coach which only took about 30minutes then we drove to the first boat which took us around the coast to meet our main boat for the trip. Along the coast it was really interesting to see the remnants from the civil war, bunkers and submarine hide outs as well as lots of forts from hundreds of years ago. On the larger boat we were then treated to a three course meal with wine whilst we continued to cruise along the coast towards the Bay of Kotor. We stopped at ‘Our lady of the rocks’ and went into the island and into the church, really fascinating history here. Our cruiser then continued into the bay of Kotor which was amazing scenery wise seeing the different villages in the mountainside. We then docked at Kotor and had time to explore this amazing medieval town. Finally we boarded our coach again and travelled back to Cavtat via the mountain underpass, ferry and road. Border crossing on the way back took around an hour but we were back for 7:45 just in time for tea 😊 an Amazing experience and I would definitely recommend this trip. It was a long day (11 hours) but a fantastic experience!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
269 posts
35 reviews
12. Re: Montenegro Review

Welsh traveller.

Our Kotor/Budva trip was with Elite tours and was done by mini bus, around 10 people on it. Kotor was lovely but as others have said Budva over developed.

Mostar was booked with Adriatic Explore and was on a larger coach maybe 20 - 30 seater and went through the main border

We also looked at Select Dubrovnik who offer trips specifically on minibuses.

All of the trips we did were very well organised.

I would say though that we were picked up at approx 7.15 am for both trips so that may well have made the border crossings easier as less traffic around

Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
13. Re: Montenegro Review

Have found this thread really interesting as we go to Kotor tomorrow from cavtat staying for 3 days. Will we find much of a difference in costs? Have found it pretty expensive here tbh - but we are self catering so eating out most of the time and it mounts up for a famiy of 4. Is eating out cheaper in Montenegro? Food shopping, day trips etc are costs lower? Thanks

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
42 reviews
14. Re: Montenegro Review

We have just come over to Croatia after a week in Montenegro (+11 days last year). The border crossing was a nightmare 4 hours 10 mins.

The stari grad at Budva is lovely and the surrounding streets.The rest is new build. Having stayed near it last year it was fine. Having re visited this year I thought - ugh!.

We stayed in Lustica in the Bay of Kotor opposite Tivat.

From Cavtat consider driving to Hercig Nov, which is probably your closest town and get a boat trip around the bay, or drive to Kotor.

Parking can be a problem, but even in those touristy places it is a lot cheaper than Croatia. In a lot of parts English is not widely spoken and you will find few English people.

For me the old town in Dubrovnik is fabulous and it is a nice city, but it is far too expensive. I will go back to Montenegro tomorrow but have seen nothing else so far to draw me back here.

It strikes me that there is an unintentional move to wreck Montenegro through over development, so I would get there before this happens. I think there will be a proper Benidorm look in 20 years time

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
7,074 posts
77 reviews
15. Re: Montenegro Review

Beware if speed traps in Montenegro - they are everywhere. I thought Montenegro would be cheap as it has a very low VAT rate unlike Croatia but we found eating out surprisingly expensive I think because everything is charged for separately. Supermarkets are cheap so self catering may be worthwhile

uk
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
16. Re: Montenegro Review

Was the meal and boats all included in that £45 ?

Reply to: Montenegro Review
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cavtat
Recent Conversations