We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Traveler Safety Questions

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Solo Traveler Safety Questions

Hello,

I am going to be a solo female traveler in San Pedro de Atacama. The most important thing to me on this trip is ensuring my safety as much as possible. I have a few questions in regards to that and would love advice

1. Do you have a suggestion for a safe hostel? (Ideally I would like to stay in a hostel so I can socialize and meet fellow travelers) ...

I read about some robberies inside of "backpackers San Pedro" hostel which I had initially considered. They state there is security but apparently that's not true and several backpackers have been robbed.

2. If not a hostel, do you have suggestions for a safe hotel?

3. Safety tips on getting from the airport to the actual town?

4. Any great tour group suggestions?

3. General safety comments other than staying on my toes and being cautious?

Thanks Everyone!

2 replies to this topic
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,485 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: Solo Traveler Safety Questions

San Pedro de Atacama is an extremely safe destination. I can't recommend a hostel as I don't use them but suggest you look for lodging in the centre of the small town.

From the airport to the town you can book Transvip from Calama airport and pay when you get there. They are the most reliable transport shuttle.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
769 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Solo Traveler Safety Questions

Although being a tourist destination there's always the risk of petty theft, SPdA is probably one of the safest towns in Latin America if not globally. Very small, everyone knows eachother and the police are very helpful and friendly having met them on our first visit there and asked for advice a few times. Don't worry.

Reply to: Solo Traveler Safety Questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Pedro de Atacama