We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotels selection and Bolivia salt flats

S C
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
18 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
hotels selection and Bolivia salt flats

We are looking to spend 5-6 nights at the Atacama desert. For us, the excursions are the first priority. I am also hoping to see stars in the sky. After looking at the posts, here are our decisions:

1) Explora vs Awasi - seems like they are both all inclusive and in a similar price point. Awasi has the advantage of a private guide and a private driver whereas Explora has access to Explora observatory. Since Awasi is located in town, we can't see stars but the upside is we will be able to walk around town. Any other material differences?

2) I am thinking of going in September to avoid hiking in the heat. Any downside to visiting during that time?

3) Would it be possible to make a same day trip to visit Salar de Uyuni from Atacama? Looking at the map, it doesn't look possible. I would like to fly in and out of Calama.

Thank you so much in advance for all your help.

2 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
221 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotels selection and Bolivia salt flats

There are 3 day tours which go to uyuni from atacama. It would be too far to go in one day. But I would highly recommend doing the trip. The sights you see on the way (look up laguna colorada, geysers,etc) are just as spectacular as the salt flats.

S C
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
18 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotels selection and Bolivia salt flats

thank you. Will definitely research that.

Reply to: hotels selection and Bolivia salt flats
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted