We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Alexandria?

Pittsburgh...
1 post
Save Topic
Where to stay in Alexandria?

Going down to DC area for a long weekend. I’ve been told by a few friends Alexandria is a cute town to stay in. We are okay traveling into DC during the day for sight seeing. I’m wondering what neighborhood/street is best to stay at in Alexandria. Looking for walkable reatrauants/breweries/something by the water.

7 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,858 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Alexandria?

The “cute” part of Alexandria is Old Town Alexandria, but you have to be careful because many hotels use “Old Town” in their name but they are nowhere near the actual Old Town Alexandria. (The center of Old Town is Market Square, so map the location of any hotel you are considering from there.) To get to DC from Old Town, you will either need to drive or take the trolley up King Street to the King Street Metro station and ride Metro into DC.

There are many hotels near the King Street Metro station and you can use the free trolley to get down to Old Town.

Leesburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
108 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Alexandria?

Although it's not a historic hotel you can't go wrong with the Holiday inn old town. It is right in the heart of the historic area and it is clean and comfortable. I have been to two weddings there and loved it.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g30…

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
Level Contributor
605 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Alexandria?

Coljess:

For maximum enjoyment, staying in Old Town Alexandria's historic district, I always advise staying closer to the waterfront for maximum enjoyment if your budget can swing it. The Alexandrian is a fun and funky (old Kimpton Monaco) on the 400 block of King (I believe the above poster is mis-remembering Holiday Inn. The Kimpton purchased the old Holiday Inn at the same location more than ten years ago). Another is the Morrison House, a mansion like hotel near the 800 block of King. A new waterfront hotel is on Union. The hotels at the top of King adjacent to the Metro are approximately 1.3 miles from the waterfront. So the free trolley comes in handy in incliment weather. There are pubs, boutiques and amazing restaurants that line the entirity of King Street. Focus on the map to locate something closer to King and the waterfront to maximize your stay.

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
Level Contributor
605 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Alexandria?

For more ideas in Old Town, check out this link:

https://www.visitalexandriava.com

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Alexandria?

We are visiting and going to nationals park. Looking at staying in Arlington or Alexandria. Preferences??

Springfield, VA
Destination Expert
for Fairfax
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Alexandria?

If you're going to Nationals Park, either choice is fine. I'd suggest picking a hotel that is close to a subway line. If you stay in Alexandria, there's a water taxi that goes to some Nationals games as well.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,116 posts
3,231 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Alexandria?

For several years, we have used:

Residence Inn by Marriott Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street

Courtyard by Marriott Alexandria

Rates vary

Reply to: Where to stay in Alexandria?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted