We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental away from airport

Hartford...
Level Contributor
518 posts
56 reviews
car rental away from airport

It looks like car rentals are way less when picked up away from the airport. Any advice on best place to pick up a car for 6 days. And approximate price of taxi to get there?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
204 reviews
1. Re: car rental away from airport

From whom do you want to rent? For example, Hertz has locations in downtown Austin, but also on Hwy 290 west of town, North Austin, and South Austin, in addition to the airport location. Where you are staying? It may just make sense to rent near your hotel, especially if you're staying downtown and can do without a car for part of your stay. A taxi from the airport to downtown will run about $25, but you can also take the Airport Flyer bus, which is $1.50, I think.

Monteagle, Tennessee
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
2. Re: car rental away from airport

Yes, as a matter of fact, I just came from Austin and had one of my worst rental car experiences. As a result, I discovered the nice folks at Avis at 1104 N Hwy I-35. Ask for Ashton Powell at 512-480-8333. I rented a car at the airport that nearly caused me to rear end a car because it would jump and sputter every time I pushed the accelerator. When I called them to get it replaced, the Avis at the airport was rude and not at all helpful. So I called this place to see if I could trade it there and not only did they help me do that, they saved me nearly $20 a day in rental fees. I will never rent a car at an airport again. Apparently, the solution in Austin is to ride a shuttle to the other location, which is near the capital off 11th. And save lots of money in the meantime!

3. Re: car rental away from airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2015, 06:20