We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salt lick

Which Austin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dallas
Level Contributor
456 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Salt lick

We have always gone to the Driftwood location and I was wondering if the Round Rock location was as good?

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,151 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salt lick

Ate there before Christmas. Food was great, no difference from the original. The ambiance was not as cool, though. The serve beer and wine alos.

dallas
Level Contributor
456 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salt lick

Thanks.

Red Rock, Texas
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Salt lick

Just found out you can't buy a single beer at the Driftwood location. You have to buy a 6 pack! I would think they are losing out on revenue. If you are the only one in the group who wants a beer - well they just lost a sale. This last trip, April 27 would cause us to say it has become overrated.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salt lick

When did they start selling beer?

Round Rock, Texas
Level Contributor
133 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salt lick

I didn't think the location in Driftwood sold any beer or other alcohol. That wasn't by the choice of the Salt Lick, but because they are located in a dry part of Hays County.

I did some online searching and it seems that the Salt Lick Cellars (their new-ish wine cellar/vineyard) does sell beer in addition to wine. I wonder if the alcohol regulations for the precinct changed since my last visit to the Salt Lick's Driftwood location about a year ago, or if the Salt Lick Cellar selling beer in a 6-back is classified differently than a restaurant serving beer.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salt lick

The Salt Lick web site still says BYOB.

I wouldn't doubt that there is some state or local liquor law that distinguishes between 6-pack sales as being a convenience store sale and individual sales at a bar/restaurant. The licenses would be different.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,151 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Salt lick

Salt Lick in Driftwood is unable to serve alcoholic beverages. One can purchase one can bring one's own. (Connivence stores sell single bottles and multi-packs.)

The Salt Lick in Round Rock is able to serve beer and wine.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Salt lick

That's what I thought, until the poster above mentioned buying six-packs of beer at the Driftwood location. It got me confused.

So. Cal
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Salt lick

Liz B is correct.

The Driftwood location does indeed sell alcohol. They also accept credit cards. Their web page is dated. This was in March 2012.

You can still BYOB.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Salt lick

thx socalbeachbum.

Get answers to your questions about Austin
Recent Conversations