We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best direction of travel?

Best direction of travel?

We will be in the Austin/San Antonio area (staying in New Braunfels) - arriving tonight and departing Tuesday at 5:20, which means we will have some time on Tuesday to explore before our flight leaves. We plan to be in both San Antono and Waco over the weekend (know that's quite a drive, but it checks off everyone's must do list) Would it be better to head back to Austin for our flight from the direction of Waco, or from San Antonio? I've read a lot about traffic issues. Wanting to make the most of our time on what looks to be a rainy weekend.

5 replies to this topic
McGregor, TX
Level Contributor
851 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Best direction of travel?

Are you coming to Waco to see the Silos?

If so, Tuesday (morning) would be the best time to come as far as crowds go, and they are closed on Sunday. I don't know if you have already taken that in to account. Also, even though Magnolia Market itself is indoors, much of being at the Silos involves being or moving around outdoors and between buildings.

That said, San Antonio is closer to the Austin airport with more alternate routes than Waco. From a traffic standpoint, that's the less risky way to go.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
7,290 posts
76 reviews
2. Re: Best direction of travel?

I would take the 130 toll road from San Antonio. Yes, it will cost you a little but it goes right by AUS and misses all the traffic. Don’t miss Wurstfest this weekend in New Braunfels. Die Schlauberger is our favorite band in the Big Tent.

3. Re: Best direction of travel?

We are just looking at the forecast and wondering about waiting to visit the Silos until Tuesday morning, and then heading back to the airport from there. Monday is looking pretty cold and dreary. That said......the traffic seems less of a problem coming from San Antonio. We will do some more thinking. Having fun so far though!

4. Re: Best direction of travel?

Thanks so much for the advice - and definitely checking out Wurstfest and the band recomendations! We had no idea that was going on.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
41,803 posts
674 reviews
5. Re: Best direction of travel?

I would go Austin over San Antonio for flight if cheaper.

Reply to: Best direction of travel?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted