We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location ??

2 posts
Location ??

Hi, I’m coming to Austin the last weekend of April with 12 girls. We are from NYC. I’ve read every post I can about locations. Hotels are too expensive for that weekend so we will be staying at an air b&b. We will Uber wherever we have to go but it would be nice to walk to a restaurant during the day possibly. If you could please give me any information about these areas it would be greatly appreciated!!

The first air b & b seems to be located between the chestnut and cherrywood neighborhoods on Manor road and chestnut avenue. This is the favorite as it is the cheapest.

The second air b & b is located in the west campus neighborhood around west 24th st and between north Lamar and Guadalupe st.

From what I’ve gathered staying by west campus would be nicer than east of I35 but I've seen conflicting reviews of being east of I35 where some say to avoid while others say it’s been improved lately. If you can give me an idea of this area east of I35 in terms of safety, walking around etc. that would help.

Thank you so much for the help!

5 replies to this topic
Lockhart, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Location ??

That particular Manor Road intersection and its immediate surrounding is part of the East Austin renaissance and as such, is pretty safe. It gets more iffy is you wander too far east. 24th, as you know, is student country. Safe enough, too. Guadalupe Street is "The Drag," and so there are plenty of restaurants around. Similarly, some good eateries around Manor Road. Mi Madre's, Hoovers, and Salty Sow come right to mind.

Since you're moving in groups, there's really no worry at all about walking safety in either place. West Campus is the more established area, so it will be somewhat less colorful and interesting than Manor Rd. There are very few places in Austin where a group of girls might reasonably feel at risk.

Since you will be eating near where you stay, I'd say Manor Road will have the more innovative places. You know how campus places are, catering largely to students, rather than East Austin trend setters. A block east of Chestnut, you'll find Dai Due. An amazing place. Started some years ago in a rental kitchen selling take out and doing farmers market. Look at what they offer. I'm betting you go there at least twice. Come on. Wild boar confit?

https://www.daidue.com/home

austin,tx
Level Contributor
782 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: Location ??

FYI East Austin is the hood. It has been renovated a lot over the years and has improved but keep you eyes open and yes Uber

I am retired law enforcement from here so if you can survive NYC you'll have no problem here but just be smart wherever you're at in Austin.

2 posts
3. Re: Location ??

Thank you for the quick replies!

5thgentexan- yes, the place we are looking at staying at is directly across the street from Dai Due. Thank you for your detailed feedback.

Acordn- yes, since we are from NYC I’m hoping that we’ll feel comfortable. Just mainly looking to be able to grab breakfast/ lunch / pick up some stuff from a store for the few days we’re there without feeling unsafe walking to and from. Anything at night we would be going downtown and since it’s far would Uber.

If anyone else has any other input please let me know! Would love to hear more opinions !

austin,tx
Level Contributor
782 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Location ??

You'll be fine during the day. Plenty of good local food in the area. Dai Dui is on our bucket list to eat at.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,817 posts
49 reviews
5. Re: Location ??

The SoCo District (South Congress) just over the Congress Ave river bridge has lots of vacation rentrals on it's back streets. IMO some of these are walkable up to South Congress for shopping, LOTS of dining, entertainment, food trucks, etc.

The Capital Metro Rapid City Bus runs up and down into downtown about every 15 minutes and saves on parking. You can get a day pass from bus driver.

I have seen lots of happy visitor reviews on this area for vacation rentals that would probably come up in a search. (???). There is also a very, very small grocery store amongst the wall to wall shops and restaurants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pC5cQoeAPI

https://austinway.com/where-to-shop-eat-drin…

http://do512.com/p/south-congress

For all things food in Austin. You have to play around in it to get the feel of how they do their info. Wonderful site:

https://austin.eater.com

Also, there are some vacation rentals near Whole Foods on Lamar that were really nice and also walkable to shops and restaurants in that area. Do a search to see if you come up with them. It was about 2 years ago I was helping folks with that area.

Reply to: Location ??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted