We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip

masaryktown, florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Road trip

We are going on a RODE TRIP...so excited. our plans are to fly to denver and circle around though nb,sd,nd,mt wy. appox1600 miles in 8 days...we have done this miliage and time frame before on our rode trip to nev. Anyways have always wanted to see this part of the world and load willing we will be in sept. Many questions and if any input would be trankes. the ND leg of our trip is to dive up 85 from SD and come up to williston and then west on US 2 into Mt.

suggestions of stops in out of the way places? how long do you think this route would take? thinking spending one night in SD and 2 full days. Any ideas of where/what town we shoudl stay and is hwy 85 much on senic route. Any infor..i am from florida and so mountains and rolling hills are something we do not have here..thanks

masaryktown, florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip

Also what is the weather like in mid sept. Also sunset happen about what time at that time of year...thanks again

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip

Hi

Also maybe try this: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Minot, North Dakota
Level Contributor
752 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip

We are Motorcycle riders and have been down the US85 many times. We find that it WAS a scenic road the first couple times, now not so much.

As for things to do? I don't know how far west you plan to go on your circle. Start in SD the Black Hills, in ND the Theodore Roosevelt NP, in MT Glacier NP, in WY Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP's in CO Rocky Mountain NP.

8 days won't do it justice.

Mentioned in this post
masaryktown, florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip

lol my typing is horriable ...rode insteed of road...and should have been lord...what ever...lol

looking on the map on hwy 85 there are very small town along the way. is there places to stop ..like gas stations, restaurants a motel. i guess that is what i am looking for also any intresting sites...like the giant rubber band ball for an example..thanks for the posts..excited about going somewhere we have never been..also how is the weather in mid september? there would be no chance of snow would there be? i have never driven in snow or ice or anything like that . remember i am from florida..have a good day everyone

North Dakota
Level Contributor
602 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip

I have never seen it snow in September in North Dakota in my 36 years here, but that doesn't mean its not possible. Just very highly unlikely. September weather can be hot or it can chilly so you might want to pack accordingly. And yes there will be gas stations and such along the way. You might want to try to book the hotel in advance though depending on where you are at. Up by Williston is oil country and the hotels can be packed with landmen during the week.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip

Well, we have been to the SW corner of ND and had lovely september weather. You are going on a BIG trip if you want to do as planned. I still find 85 scenic but a whole lot of nothingness also. I can recommend North Winds Lodge in Bowman. We also saw a hotel in Buffalo SD but didn't stay.

We also stayed in Medora and visited Th Roosevelt NP south unit. Well worth a visit. From Medora we drove to Glendive Mt, via Circle to Fort Peck Lake tyo Glasgow and along us2, The Great Northern to Havre (stayed overnight) and to Glacier NP. Us2 is wide open, a good road and rather fast and you'll know why they call Montana "The Big Sky" state then. Approaching Glacier from a distance makes some fantastic views already. But to see a bit of Glacier you already need several day and drive Going to the Sun rd. No mountains before you reach Glacier. There's a chance on snow on GTTS rd in september. (we had some) Also check www.nps.gov/glac

Tet

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Medora
Medora
North Dakota
Great Northern
Great Northern
39 Reviews
Malta, MT
Montana
Montana
United States
Big Sky
Big Sky
Montana
7. Re: Road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Abercrombie
Recent Conversations