We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uber in Manila

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Uber in Manila

When I'm out late at night in Chicago, I prefer to Uber rather than flag down the taxi...i'm a happy repeat customer. Costs a little extra but beats standing outside a bar and watching folks steal your cab even though you were the one to flag it down. I like to have my ride waiting for me and it is convenient and no payment changes hands! I've been reading that Uber has also arrived in Manila. any reviews? That would be great since we are visiting in Feb 2015. We will be staying in my childhood home in Marikina but we dont have a car (my dad thought it was unnecessary and we grew up always taking public transportation). If folks can vouch for the safety and effectiveness of Uber in Manila i would be more confident about our visit. Old classmates on FB are posting almost weekly about some new "modus operandi" targeting people that take public transportation, taxis, FX alike :P

74 replies to this topic
Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,349 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uber in Manila

I have no experience with Uber but I would happy to recommend GrabTaxi and Easy Taxi.

Metro Manila...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Uber in Manila

I've tried Uber. It was okay. I liked it 'cause they're now at 40% off while they try to build a customer base in Metro Manila, LOL. I think for now, they're concentrating on business districts like Makati and Ortigas, so I'm not sure how easy it'll be to hire a vehicle from Marikina. Here's a promo code, btw: LOUB44. Enter that to get free P300 Uber credits.

You can also try Easy Taxi and GrabTaxi. GrabTaxi also has GrabCar, which competes with Uber. When you go home Feb 2015, you can check out Easy Taxi and GrabTaxi's Philippine Facebook page. They usually post promos there. Like now, there's free booking fee for both. But that's for the month of August. Hopefully there'd also be promos when you come home on February.

Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,558 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Uber in Manila

You are being given wrong information on FB. There are no major problems with Public Transport. Jeepneys are sometimes robbed on Commonwealth, Mindanao Ave, Tondo and Espana and on Taft near to PGH. The vast majority no problems.

Dont use FX - sometimes drivers are friends with holdaper.

Taxis are safe, always insist that the Meter is used. If they refuse, get out and find another taxi and never accept fixed fare.

Buses are good but never travel on bus with curtains especially on EDSA. Holdapers close them so Police cant see whats happening inside although many have been arrested now.

MRT and LRT are overcrowded nearly always and therefore, there are pickpockets.

PNR is even more overcrowded!

You may have no choice but to use Public Transport when it rains because taxis are difficult to find. But shouldn't happen too often in February!

Edited: 21 August 2014, 03:43
Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Uber in Manila

FSRP01 - If I knew the Philippines was so dangerous I would never have come.

All the buses I have been on have had curtains apart from a few non A/C buses which have shutters against the rain and the sun.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,104 posts
2,070 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Uber in Manila

I have never been the victim of pickpockets in Philippines, including Metro Manila.

The LRT and MRT elevated rail lines and the PNR surface rail line are all safe, provided one's wallet (males) is kept in a front pocket and one's mobile telephone is similarly not placed in a shirt or back pocket. Commonsense.

Bacolod, Philippines
Level Contributor
197 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Uber in Manila

thanks for this topic. i had no idea what "uber" was. LOL had to searched it online

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Uber in Manila

Thanks all. I have taken the MRT and LRT on previous visits but growing up we used taxi, bus, jeepney and FX. The MRT wasn't around until after I moved out of the country (1995). I am ok with public transportation, relying on bus and train in Chicago regularly since I work in the downtown area, as well as having visited Paris and NY recently. Pickpockets are in every country :) but the modus operandi stuff going around on fb is just what gives me the creeps about taking a cab back home.

Thanks for the info about the Uber promo codes as well as the Easy Taxi and Grab Taxi apps headsup.

Edited: 21 August 2014, 14:28
Manila, Philippines
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Uber in Manila

Hello 543AnnS,

Getting around Manila is easy, but you should know some of the basics before you jump into any old taxi. They come in many colors but generally the yellow metered ones are dedicated airport taxis, have a higher “drop rate” AND a higher “run rate”. They will cost about 50% more than white metered ones but you'll be in good hands I should say =)

Taxi scams, dangers and such experiences shared on Facebook are real and should not be taken for granted. I have a list of well-trusted taxi companies in Manila let me know if you want it too. Basically, I don't get empty taxis on the streets, rather I call just one number and patiently wait for my turn to pick me up. They have acquired technology in making things safer and faster anyway! =)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Uber in Manila

@TravelEnthusiasts888, yes I would appreciate the list of the tax companies you use. Can you PM it to me? Thanks so much!

Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,558 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Uber in Manila

Rather than scaremongering with talk of new scams in taxis, perhaps you should tell everyone what they are. The only one I have heard of is using anesthetic gas on a single female passenger but that was a single taxi and the perpetrator was soon caught because his scheme was not very effective.

As for having a preferred list of taxi companies, there are thousands of taxis in Metro Manila and you could have a long wait for a preferred vehicle turns up.

Taxi drivers have drastically improved over the last few of years and I cant remember the last time I had to tell the driver to turn on the meter.

There are more than enough people who are frightened to come to the Philippines already because they have heard from someone, who usually has never been here, that it is not safe and your paranoia is not helping anyone.

Reply to: Uber in Manila
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted