We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Manila Airport to Illocos Norte Region

1 post
Save Topic
Transportation from Manila Airport to Illocos Norte Region

Hello Everyone,

In the near future (1 - 2 years) I plan on traveling to the Philippines to visit my father and grandfathers province. My father is from the manila area and my grandfather from Illoscos Norte Region.

What is the best way to travel from Manila to Illoscos Norte for a reasonable price? I do nor wish rent a car.

9 replies to this topic
Cebu City...
Level Contributor
609 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Manila Airport to Illocos Norte Region

I am researching this also for next winter. What I've come up with is uber or taxi from the airport to the Partas bus station in Cubao. Then catch a deluxe bus to Ilocos. I'm interested to see if someone posts a different, better way.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
24,362 posts
1,914 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Manila Airport to Illocos Norte Region

Cheapest is by bus.

Best and not cheapest as your question asks is by a private driver. Recommended Tripadvisor Drivers listed here. They are the best ones to give you a price. <<< https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g29… >>>

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,084 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Manila Airport to Illocos Norte Region

I agree with #2 - Bus is the best (and most popular method). The buses leave from EDSA - just take a walk along EDSA and you will find at least 10 bus termini and bus companies that have daily trips to Ilocos Norte (the selection depends on where exactly you wish to go in IN)

Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
3,961 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Manila Airport to Illocos Norte Region

use the search box as I have just done with the names of a city in the region (manila laoag bus) and came up with this useful link.

https:/…41574483

The bus journey is long, 9 hours too Vigan then a few more but there are some luxury buses or fly to Laoag on Philippine Airlines.

other destinations can be reached by bus, jeepney, tricycle or habal habal ( the back off a motorbike with you or sometimes a few others ! and your case on another bike !

also look at this recent post

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294…

Edited: 22 September 2017, 09:12
Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,340 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Manila Airport to Illocos Norte Region

Post #1 gave a good suggestion. The "deluxe class" of Partas Bus is a comfortable way of commuting to Ilocos Norte. They have a trip to the capital city of Laoag. The deluxe bus has just 3 abreast seats so it more roomy than other buses.

https:/…4426886192_69cea50101_b.jpg

Edited: 22 September 2017, 19:19
Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
60 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from Manila Airport to Illocos Norte Region

Or you can skip the long ride and book RT plane tickets Laoag from Manila (~45mins).

In 2010 we took the Partas bus to Vigan, then next day ordinary bus to Laoag, then next day a van tour to Pagudpud. One night each stop. Fourth day we took an ordinary bus back to Laoag then flew to Manila via PAL (got a cheap one way). You can check for flights when you have the dates.

Level Contributor
69 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from Manila Airport to Illocos Norte Region

I do this route every time I go to the Philippines and visit my relatives in Batac. Started this January, Cebu pacific stopped their flights to Laoag and they cancelled my flight in January (for some strange reason) so before Manila-Laoag flights are very inexpensive almost at par with buses. However, since there is only PAL that fly there now (2x daily) I never see them go on sale. If PAL runs their sale seats you'll see at the bottom it would read except Laoag. I think the reason why because most OFWs avail their Mabuhay Miles (my grandparents and parents included) for free flight to LAO and as you may have known there are tons of OFWs in the Ilocos Region. Last time I checked a return ticket costs around $150-200.

On the other hand, when I was there in September my wife and I took the bus (Farinas) to Batac. We took the early bus @0600 in Espana and we boarded their deluxe bus (comfy seats with a CR). They don't have the super deluxe for day trips though only night trips. The ride took us roughly about 10 hours to reach Batac (so about 10.5 hours to Laoag). However, on the way back we took the 11pm Bus from Laoag this time their super deluxe bus and by 6pm we arrived in Manila.

In terms of Buses, I prefer Farinas than the other bus companies, as their buses are newer. I would also consider Night trip than the day trip it's faster and besides i don't have problem sleeping on the bus. The costs range from P800-950 depending which Bus class you're getting. The only con for Farinas is their booking system, you can not call in to reserve a seat you have to go to their station physically to reserve and put in P400 reservation fee. But this wasn't an issue when we were there in September because it's low season so we just showed up without a reservation (but if it's high season especially holidays better reserve your seats and this also applies to other bus companies).

Renting a Van- I highly discourage if you have issues with seating for 8-10 hours. Plus you have to pay for gas / tolls / food and accommodation for the driver.

Hope this helps.

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
2,830 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation from Manila Airport to Illocos Norte Region

The bus jouirney is long and tedious on the narrow roads so i suggest you take a flight to Laoag which is in Ilocos Norte. PAL Express fly there daily and if you book well in advance it will only coat you 2500 pesos

Level Contributor
69 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation from Manila Airport to Illocos Norte Region

>>>>The bus jouirney is long and tedious on the narrow roads so i suggest you take a flight to Laoag which is in Ilocos Norte. PAL Express fly there daily and if you book well in advance it will only coat you 2500 pesos>>>>

Yes I agree if you're doing the Day trip, but I find the night trip very smooth and quick as there's no traffic. Did you mean P2500 RT or one way as I have been price watching flights to Laoag and it's always been in the P2500-3000 per way since Cebu Pacific stopped their operation there.

Reply to: Transportation from Manila Airport to Illocos Norte Region
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted