We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

please help on short trip

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
please help on short trip

Hi everybody and manila travel experts,

I am traveling with my best friend to Manila on a short 2.5 days. I have a few questions + help on my itinerary, so any feedback is welcome!

questions:

1. what is the safest option to get from NAIA terminal 1 to our hotel, Hotel H20? and what is a good price if not metered. I have read, uber or grab (which brings me to my next question)

2. I have read there is grab kiosk in the terminal, is there one in terminal 1? and is it before or after baggage claim, because i think family pick up is outside the airport right?

3.I should buy sim card at the airport right? which brand is best and price is okay? (don't want to get ripped off so better knowledge is better)

itinerary :

day 1: arrive at airport 10:30 pm

any good spot for late night food near Hotel H20?

day 2: visiting the aquarium

going to get high tea options 1. Writers Bar, Raffles Makati or 2. Relish at Ponte

5:00 walk around greenbelt to digest

then end with mall of asia for dinner (any recommendation for good filipino food)

day 3 : shopping at green hills (and tips on how to shop/ what to avoid) i have read about pickpocketing any ways of avoiding?

4:30 for spa (any recommendations)

dinner at Bag O' Shrimps (is it good?) in Taguig

leave for airport, flight at 12:30 so what time should I arrive ?

Thank you for any feedback or Recommendations is greatly appreciated!!!!!!

much LOVE and Hugs!!

11 replies to this topic
melbourne
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: please help on short trip

>>> day 1: arrive at airport 10:30 pm

any good spot for late night food near Hotel H20? <<<

I like the Harbour Views Restaurant, which is very close to the hotel and is open until 1am. Aristocrat Restaurant is not far away and it is open 24 hours

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: please help on short trip

1.You should take Grab, it's definitely safe. Download the app already! there you can check the price that you will pay by pitting your pick-up point and your destination. They will do the computation. With this app you can book a grab car by yourself. (You need internet in order to book)

2.If you want to go find the Grab booth, each terminal has it. See attached link below for the location. so you could easily find it. It is all located outside the terminal.

pinoyadventurista.com/2016/04/travel-tip-gra…

3.If you wanna buy SIM card, i would suggest to buy GLOBE SIM, It works perfectly in Manila. You can buy it in the airport already. You will see different SIM CARD booth after you claim your luggage. There are some which is free, you just need to buy LOAD for the SIM.

Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: please help on short trip

A meter/GRAB likely to cost around 300 pesos,there are also fixed price taxis known as "coupon taxis" for I would guess 500 plus sharks ! avoid anyone who approaches you and get some 20/50/100 peso notes

meter taxis - out of exit door turn left walk 30 metres, get a receipt from dispatcher - do not give to driver but keep in case of dispute. Grab I think over the road but ask. Once App installed like Uber have advantage that you know how much the fare should be , meter taxis are O but near H2O there will be sharks wanting to take you for a fixed fare - 500 for a 90 peso ride

If you check in online you will need to be at desk 45 mins/hour before but with traffic aim to be there 2 hours before. Will take longer in the day, maybe 45 mins from Intramuros.

Smart or Globe, sims are 50 or free with some packages, get on a data program or you will be spending 20 pesos an hour x 24 hours a day.

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: please help on short trip

2) Behind Mall of Asia next to the bay there are several all-yo-can-eat - restaurants and i can thoroughly recommend the buffet.I think it is still a little less than 1000 pesos. You will not be disappointed. If you are after local food there are several other restaurants with buffets, just check them out !

http://www.vikings.ph/

Metro Manila...
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: please help on short trip

> 1. what is the safest option to get from NAIA terminal 1 to our hotel, Hotel H20? and what is a good price if not metered. I have read, uber or grab (which brings me to my next question)

I always take Uber; Grab has worse reputation of the 2. Data services using SIM cards can be spotty at the airports, but thankfully, terminal 1 has not very long ago got a decent free wi-fi service that, I think, allows people to connect for free for 2 hours. I always use that to book my Uber ride.

> 3.I should buy sim card at the airport right? which brand is best and price is okay? (don't want to get ripped off so better knowledge is better)

Don't buy SIM card at the airport unless it's the regularly priced ones. Convenience stores like 7-11 should have them. In my mind, Globe has a slightly better reputation when it comes to their services over Smart, but in general, we have poor data services here so expect to be frustrated whichever you choose. In some areas, Globe gets better reception, while in some others Smart does. As for the price, I think Globe has GoSurf 50 (at the time of writing) which will give you 1GB of data for 1 day. It's worth PhP50 of prepaid credits. As for the SIM itself, it's been a while since I last purchased prepaid, but you shouldn't pay more than PhP50 for those. If I'm not mistaken they also come preloaded with prepaid credits. Globe has a prepaid LTE SIM sold for PhP40 ( more info in this link: http://bit.ly/2ycY0tJ ). Don't bother with their TravelSurf SIM since it feels like a huge rip-off compared to the regular prepaid services.

Edited: 20 September 2017, 13:35
Metro Manila...
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: please help on short trip

I forgot to post more info regarding Globe's GoSurf prepaid rates. Check out: http://bit.ly/2wy4F5x

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: please help on short trip

thank you for your feedback :)

Quezon City...
Level Contributor
282 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: please help on short trip

I have the impression that you are a balikbayan, ts. in that case...

1.) late night meal: this is my suggestion. they serve filipino style chinese food. so noodles, rice toppics, dimsums.. and they taste like how they used to taste like back then.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.ph/Restaurant_Re…

High teas option: MANILA HOTEL. They are known for ther bibinka, puto bumbong, club house sandwiches. and right next to hotel h20 too.

Dinner: Good Filipino Food- try CRISOSTOMO, it's near MoA..

https://www.tripadvisor.com.ph/Restaurant_Re…

HOWEVER, from Greenbelt back to moa area would take you an hour atleast because of traffic. greenbelt has a lot of good restaurants that you can try.

But my favorite restaurant in Moa is 4 seasons hotpot buffet. owned by the same group as vikings buffet. but they specialize in hotpot, chinese food, and some tepanyaki. price is about 900 per person.

----------

also have a big problem with your last day itinerary. from greenhills, you go to have a spa, to a dinner at taguig to the airport?

my suggestion is to stay in greenhills. they have some of the BEST CHINESE FOOD in the City. Gloria Maris, Annapolis Seafood. Choi Garden. they have a good spa inside theater mall as well.

the stalls/ stores there change location every month. that's how it works. hence telling you where to go is not possible. but the stores are separated by sections depending on what they sell. clothes, housewares, etc.

and get your early dinner from there, and leave for the airport by 6.30pm to arrive around 8pm-ish and give plenty of time for potential traffic.

to be honest i think your itinerary is too optimistic, too many places at once, it's just not possible with the traffic here in metro manila.

taguig, greenhills, makati.. those are the traffic places and that's where you wish to go to.

going in and out of taguig is already a good 30 minutes. that does not include the traffic you will meet in edsa and c5.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: please help on short trip

Thank you @Stevenson U

i forgot to write day 4 on the airport part. i have a full day on the day.

thank you for the info, i'll try to cut some things out.

Vancouver, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: please help on short trip

Ask the hotel to arrange for someone to pick you guys up...they’ll do that....doesn’t matter what time...it’s safer too...

Reply to: please help on short trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted