We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

15 Hour Layover in Manila

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
15 Hour Layover in Manila

Hi All, I have a 15 hour layover in Manila before heading to Bangkok. Land in Manila at 4:35am (from the USA) and leaving at 7:20pm (1920) later that evening (Sunday Oct 8th). Wondering if anything is open that early or are there any tours that can pick us up from the airport? We are 2 single guys in our early 30s.

A few things we are tinkering around with:

Kill a bunch of time with spa/massage day. Any recommendations for a long spa day? (3-4 hours).

Head to the Mall of Asia or Resort World Mall (since it is close to the airport)

Potentially book a cheap hotel to take a nap by the airport if we get tired.

It is both of our first times in Manila, so would like to experience a thing or two before heading to Bangkok. Thanks!

9 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
24,300 posts
1,907 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 15 Hour Layover in Manila

<< Any recommendations for a long spa day?>>

Wensha Spa

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Re…

FAQ to the right-----> <<<9 hours in Manila-What can we do?>>> will give you further options as to things to do.

Nothing wrong with any of your options but only you can decide which is best.

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 15 Hour Layover in Manila

Here are a few simple hotels near the airport

pinoyadventurista.com/2016/10/budget-afforda…

Try visiting Mall of Asia and try an all you can eat buffet between the rear of the mall and the sea. There are several restaurants ---try the Vikings

http://www.vikings.ph/

There is also a big ferris wheel behind the mall which you can take a ride on for about 250 pesos.

philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
4,588 posts
598 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 15 Hour Layover in Manila

if you are using terminal 3, have breakfast at resorts world and then try to find a way to do corregidor or intramuros.

if you are using terminal 1 or 2, go instead for wensha as suggested, rest until you are refreshed to do intramuros or malls (opens at 10am)

Edited: 14 September 2017, 12:01
Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
9,927 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 15 Hour Layover in Manila

There are 3 international terminals in Manila. For the best advice, you should say which terminal your flights arrive at and depart from

Quezon City...
Level Contributor
46 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 15 Hour Layover in Manila

I have been living in Metro Manila since I was born, without delays on your flight from USA to Manila (caused by Manila Airport) my best advice is just to stay within the Pasay/Makati Area due to the really bad traffic situation.

If the day you land turns into a sunny one, Mall of Asia is a good choice.

If you would want to stay indoors I would suggest staying in Ayala-Makati area as their malls is all you need, from entertainment to food plus I do believe it's one of the safer places for a Foreigner to hang around in the metro.

Edited: 15 September 2017, 07:56
Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,084 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 15 Hour Layover in Manila

Not much open that early.

I would suggest the following - take a taxi to Makati, check into any budget hotel in the area. TA has quite a few listed.

Sleep a while, then go out - there are lots of good spas and massage centers - most open around 10 am. there are especially good ones in the vicinity of greenbelt (there is an excellent one near the smaller rustans store - just next to starbucks)

Thereafter, walk around a bit, have your food, rest a while and leave for the airport.

Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 15 Hour Layover in Manila

I would want to sleep ! the problem you have is most hotels expect you to check out at noon and really you need a base till around 5pm. You could always do some research as to what hotels have a 24 hour reception then just turn up or for 1000 pesos you can book a room for 12 hours at www.hotelsogo.com with the branch at harrison / edsa or pasay rotunda being 15 mins from the airport and close to the mall of asia(MOA) the spa and with plenty of passing taxis to take you to intramuros.

Now the bad news ! hotel sogo are short time hotels where filipinos who for cultural reasons cannot bring their girlfriends/boyfriends/fiancee's home to share a bed go for 3/6 and more hours of intimacy. I stay there when travelling alone without any problem however the rooms have one double bed plus aircon plus free wifi so if you don't mind snoozing next to your mate it will give you a chance to relax, or if your really shy book a room each. You just turn up and during busy periods may have to wait for a room to come free but there is free wifi in the reception area plus food and what they call coffee ( 3 in one sugar/creamer plus coffee powder) . I bring my own instant, buy a small carton of milk and add it to the cup of hot water they give you along with the 3 in 1 sachet. www.hotelsogo.com/branch/pasay_harrison.html

Edited: 15 September 2017, 09:35
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 15 Hour Layover in Manila

Fantastic! Thank you all for the suggestions. I am leaning towards heading to the Makati district as it seems there are more malls, things to do in that area.

Could you all suggest a Hotel Sogo in the area? Or a budget hotel? Would just like to point the taxi driver in a general hotel direction. Also what would be a budget price?

Any recommendations on a spa there? Wensha seems to have mixed reviews and is outside of the Makati area. Would ideally like to just walk in for a massage.

Thank you all again for the advice! Feeling much better about our layover now.

Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 15 Hour Layover in Manila

there is one at edsa guadaloupe although that is a bit away from the centre of makati and you would more likely find the one at taft avenue/buendia closer maybe 120 peso taxi ride away.

www.hotelsogo.com/branch/edsa_guadalupe.html

http://www.hotelsogo.com/branch/buendia.html

you could just look on booking sites for hotels near where you wnt to be and get a taxi driver to take you to one as hotels are flexible with 6 am arrivals and will often do a deal for 6/10 hours

Reply to: 15 Hour Layover in Manila
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted