We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General advice/questions please

Chester
Level Contributor
58 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
General advice/questions please

Hi, We are arriving into Manila NAIA Airport on Thursday 29th March 2018 from Doha and staying overnight at The Hop Inn Malate.

Friday 30th March is Easter/Good Friday. We fly out to Cebu on Air Asia at 08:40am.

What time do you think we should leave the hotel to get to the airport for this domestic internal flight?

Do you think the traffic may be quieter as its Easter Friday? Approximately how long will the journey take?

How much do you think a taxi should cost for this journey?

Thanks

10 replies to this topic
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General advice/questions please

The airport may be quite busy being the Easter period as heaps of locals will be traveling for the holiday so I would be looking to get there 2hrs prior. I would think that time of morning the traffic shouldn't be too bad but it would be hard to say being the holiday period. I would be looking to leave your hotel no later than 6am, but leave earlier to be safe

Edited: 14 September 2017, 00:58
Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,319 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General advice/questions please

Traffic should be non-existent on a Good Friday morning so travel time from your hotel would not be more than 40 minutes although the taxi driver could make it in 30 minutes. It would be a very busy time at the airport so be there not later than 2 hours before your flight.

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
2,774 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General advice/questions please

I would also suggest that you leave your hotel by about 6 am. Good Friday is one of the most important holidays of the year and most shops and malls will be closed, school holidays and little traffic.If you flag a taxi down the fare will be less than 300 pesos but make sure he uses his meter or arrange a fee beforehand.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,084 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: General advice/questions please

#3 is right - having been in manila during that time, I can agree that good Friday to easter sunday almost everything in Manila closes 9one of the few days of the year when malls are closed) and everything is desolate. While this means there will be no traffic, this also means taxis are exceptionally difficult to find (taxi drivers too take the day off).

Tell the hotel to arrange a taxi for you - best ask them what time to leave and do as they + the taxi driver say. :)

Normally it will take about 30-45 mins

In the airport do expect crowds as LOTS of people travel during this time (it is called holy week and it ends up consisting of 4 consecutive day holidays for office goers and school / college kids)

reminder - make sure you have booked your flights and hotels during holy week

Edited: 15 September 2017, 08:44
Chester
Level Contributor
58 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: General advice/questions please

Thank you so much for your replies. The hotel in Manilla, The Hop inn, Ermita does not offer a taxi transfer service. I will probably book the transfers with Uber.

Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: General advice/questions please

yes it is best to book with uber, normally fare will be cheaper than taxi as it fixed no more haggling.

Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: General advice/questions please

Do not use hotel Transfer unless you have money to burn.

Grab is also available and gives you another option.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,084 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: General advice/questions please

I would have left at 5 am. That gives sufficient time for any contingency / lines (example: the long security queue to enter the airport).

Ask your hotel to arrange for your taxi - it will be a pain trying to find one that early on that day

Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: General advice/questions please

Advance Welcome to the Philippines!

Ourfamily nornally arrives at the airport 2 hours before flight.

Better so it that way because there could be many people flying for vacation.

Book via ube or grab for exact rates.

Usually 1st time uber users gets free ride using a promo.

Enjoy and feel free to ask questions :)

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
386 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: General advice/questions please

do u like uber? taxi cost u around 200, uber more dependable

Reply to: General advice/questions please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted