We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transfer time at Shin-Imamiya

Which Osaka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
491 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
transfer time at Shin-Imamiya

I will be traveling from Nara to Koyasan. One possible route, according to Hyperdia, gives me a three minute transfer time at Shin-Imanmiya from the JR line to the Nankai Line. Is this feasible? (I will already have purchased my Koysan World Heritage Pass.) Thanks.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,710 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transfer time at Shin-Imamiya

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin-Imamiya_Station

There are only 4 tracks and 2 platforms in the station.

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
491 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transfer time at Shin-Imamiya

Thanks for your reply. I had looked at the wikipedia site prior to posting, but I didn't realize JR and Nankai shared the same tracks. To me, it looked like there were two huge, separate areas.

So do I just show my pass on the train to Koyasan?( It looks like there are turn styles.)

Thanks

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,157 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transfer time at Shin-Imamiya

>>>I had looked at the wikipedia site prior to posting, but I didn't realize JR and Nankai shared the same tracks. To me, it looked like there were two huge, separate areas.<<<

The JR and Nankai do not share the same tracks. If you're coming from Nara, you'll arrive at platform 3 of JR Shin-Imamiya Station at 2F level. You have to go out of a JR ticket gate and enter the Nankai Shin-Imamiya Station at 3F level. The Koyasan bound trains depart from platform 1.

A 3 minutes transfer sounds very tight, but from my years of making tight transfers, you should be OK.

Here is a better map:

www.jr-odekake.net/eki/premises.php…

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transfer time at Shin-Imamiya

I did this trip in December and am heading back in April. The trip is really well timed for the whole round trip and is really stress free. When our train arrived at Shin-Imamiya the other was waiting there for us. The same with the cable car and the bus when we got off the cable car. We had a Kansai Thru Pass that we used and you just showed your pass, so easy!

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,190 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: transfer time at Shin-Imamiya

When in JR Nara, you should get on the train at its head rather than the tail-ender. That way you can access faster to the stairs leading to the hall upstairs in Shin-Imamiya. In about a minute or so, you'd be at the Nankai manned wicket. No worries. Yes, you need to get out the JR side and then traverse the 40-mete-long square-ish hall so you can face the Nankai. Again, no worries.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,967 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transfer time at Shin-Imamiya

As tsutt35 have noted, the Nankai Railways staff watches over JR trains and adjusts the timing of departure to make the transfer easier at Shin-Imamiya. At least they do that for the Rapit train to KIX.

Edited: 29 February 2012, 13:13
New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
491 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transfer time at Shin-Imamiya

Thanks for the helpful information and reassurance!

8. Re: transfer time at Shin-Imamiya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 22:40