We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 day in osaka-kyoto-kobe nara with kansai thru pass?

KL
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Topic
7 day in osaka-kyoto-kobe nara with kansai thru pass?

HI guys i will be japan for about a week in april and would like some comments on my itinerary, as well as if a combination of kansai thru pass and JR west would be worth while. My base will be in osaka (staying with a friend):

Day 1: Arrive in kansai airport, straight to kyoto arashimaya (JR west one day pass), back to osaka

Day 2: Osaka (osaka day pass?) Nara in the afternoon, back to osaka

Day 3: Osaka - Kyoto (Kinkakuji, Ryoanji, Nijo-jo, imperial palace) with kansai thru pass, back to osaka

Day 4: Osaka - Kyoto (Ginkakuji, Namzenji, Kiyomizudera, Gion) with kansai thru pass, back to osaka

Day 5: Osaka - Kyoto (Fushimi Inari, Tokufuji temple) with kansai thru pass, back to osaka, explore osaka as will be back early

Day 6: Osaka - Himeji - Kobe - Osaka (JR west one day pass?)

Day 7: Osaka

Day 8: Kansai airport for home (will buy one way ticket)

My questions are:

1) will i be able to squeeze my days in kyoto into 2 days?

2) Is this the best economical way to travel? I can use the kansai thru pass on buses and subway in kyoto hence i would think that is a good option.

if i end up spending slightly more this way i dont mind as it will lessen the hassle of buying different tickets at all the time.

comments are much much appreciated, thank you!

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Himeji, Kobe, Osaka
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 day in osaka-kyoto-kobe nara with kansai thru pass?

You can squeeze Kyoto into 2 days; I've done the highlights of Kyoto in a day (not quite as many places as you have, but almost). Also, note that Himeji Castle will close on April 12 for renovation; you don't mention exactly when you'll be there, so factor that in.

The Thru pass is a good option. You might also look at a JR West regional pass. Use this link to price out your trips:

www.hyperdia.com

JR is generally the easiest to get around the region. But you can use non-JR for most places, even Himeji (though the trip is a bit longer if you are on non-JR lines; but I also like the route of the Sanyo line better). This is a good link for rail pass questions:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357.html

My main question is, why stay in Osaka? As it is now, 4 of your days are in the Kyoto area. If you condense Kyoto that's still more than a third of your trip there. Nara is easily accessible from Kyoto, as is Himeji (particularly if you use the JR West pass).

John W.

Bali
Level Contributor
6 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 day in osaka-kyoto-kobe nara with kansai thru pass?

Hi John,

We also booked ourselves for 4 nights in Osaka, 2 nights in Kyoto and last night in Osaka.

I was looking at the JR Rail Pass, but most our travel would be Kyoto and Nara I found Kansai Area Pass, which is 6,000 p.p. for 4 days.

This seems a more economic option.

But we also wanted to do a 1 day trip to Mt. Fuji and here is where I'm getting confused, if I do this trip it alone is like 12,000 p.p.

Is there any sensible option combining Kansai Area Pass with some ad on to get to Mt. Fuji cheaper?

In my understanding if Nara, Kyoto and surrounding of Osaka is the main activity the Kansai Area Pass is great value for money, but what in case of 1 day trip to Mt. Fuji and maybe another 1 day trip to Nagoya...

Your advise would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

Christian

Bali
Level Contributor
6 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 day in osaka-kyoto-kobe nara with kansai thru pass?

Hi again,

I just came across jnto.go.jp/eng/…y18.html the Seishun 18 ticket, would this allow us to do Mt. Fuji and Nagoya as well? Than we could buy the Kansai Area ticket just for the remaining 1 or 2 days in addition?

Problem is that it is only on sale up to 31st March and seems can't be purchased online :( any advise?

Best regards

Christian

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,101 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 day in osaka-kyoto-kobe nara with kansai thru pass?

Just to add to the confusion, you could also consider the Kintetsu pass. It would cover Nara, Osaka, Kyoto and even Nagoya for only 3700Y for 5 days.

kintetsu.co.jp/foreign/…rpw1-krpw.htm

To be honest some of their trains are very much "local" style runs, which put me off buying that particular pass.

Other passes you might want to look at--the Osaka unlimited pass for 2 days (covers subway only in Osaka and "free" admission to about 25 places of varying worth. We plan on getting the 2 day pass on an uncoming trip. Not a bad idea since it covers 2 days of subway, and one of the attractions alone cost 1600Y (the Santa Maria boat ride), so it really seems decent value.

http://www.pia-kansai.ne.jp/osp/en/06.php

Bali
Level Contributor
6 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 day in osaka-kyoto-kobe nara with kansai thru pass?

Hi Maple,

Thanks for the tip, good to know, now I just need to sort out Mt. Fuji and we are good, hahaha at least in theory

Cheers from Bali

Christian

KL
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 day in osaka-kyoto-kobe nara with kansai thru pass?

hi john thanks for your comments! am basing myself in osaka because i am staying with a friend hence the many travels! am using hyperdia.com now and that is really helpful to plan my travels.

christian, i would appreciate if you could start or own thread and not 'hop-on' my thread just like that without acknowledging the initial thread owner. otherwise i hope you have a good trip to Japan.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Himeji, Kobe, Osaka
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 day in osaka-kyoto-kobe nara with kansai thru pass?

Note that the Seishun tickets are not valid on Shinkansen. I used Seishun for a trip to Tokyo many years ago and it was a very long, very tiring trip. And note that if you're paying 12K yen that's 24K round trip; when you add the cost of the Kansai area pass it's almost the price of the 7-day rail pass which gives you much more flexibility.

Regarding Fuji. The way the pass will work (I think; honestly haven't used one in a while) is that you'll get on at a station where you can use the pass and when you get off you'll pay the difference. I'm not sure exactly where the kansai pass validity stops; the site is a bit vague on that. I think it's Maibara, so it saves you at least a little bit. If you use the Kintetsu pass it might save you some money in that you'll go to Nagoya and then hop on JR (fastest).

Now for the big questions: why Mt. Fuji? In spring you risk it being fogged in a lot of the time, so what'll you do if you go all that way and can't see it? I'm not saying don't go, but make sure you have a backup plan. And where will you go to see the mountain? Hakone? Fuji go-ko (five lakes)? Kamakura?

John W.

Bali
Level Contributor
6 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 day in osaka-kyoto-kobe nara with kansai thru pass?

Hi Xhai,

Really sorry about this!!! First time user of Trip Advisor and just thought our travel plan is pretty much the same so our question might be as well.

Didn't know it would cause any inconvenience, so again my apologies

A good trip to you!!!

And John thanks a lot for clarifying, I decided for JR Rail Pass for peace of mind and will look for a plan B on Mt. Fuji!!! Any ideas welcome, its our first trip :)

Cheers

Christian

9. Re: 7 day in osaka-kyoto-kobe nara with kansai thru pass?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2010, 05:16