We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2014 Olympics

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
497 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
2014 Olympics

My granddaughter is hoping to be on US figure skating team for this Olympics. In thinking and planning ahead, wonder which hotels are closet the the Stadium, and Skating venue?

also, what is the easiest, and cheapest way to get to Sochi? I realize there are probably two different answers to this question.

any other tips would be appreciated, this city looks beautiful!

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2014 Olympics

Hi, neither stadium or Ice palace are constructed, and many hotels are in construction or renovation its too early to plan ahead. Most plain venues are to be held in Olympic Park, close by.

For the second question, Sochi AIrport has many flights to Moscow, and also some flights to european hubs, with surely more flights to come before the Games. Same, too early to plan.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
497 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2014 Olympics

thanks for the info, just trying to get a handle on this thing. We have a long road ahead, but knowing my granddaughter, she'll get there. when would you suggest I start looking?

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2014 Olympics

I think end of 2012 earliest for hotels/event tickets, Feb. 2013 (one year ahead) for flights...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
830 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2014 Olympics

I am also trying to get an idea of how much a trip for the Olympics might cost. My daughter will be goign on 17 when the Olympics are in Sochi. She was adopted from Russia about 20 miles from Sochi when she waa 8 years old. This would be an amazing opportunity for her if I can afford it!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2014 Olympics

I'm currently working on the London 2012 Games and will also be working in Sochi. We have received next to no information on accommodation and flights so don't panic. Generally hotels are not on-sale until around one year before the games so my advice would be to research the hotels in the area and keep an eye on their websites.

6. Re: 2014 Olympics

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 15:41
7. Re: 2014 Olympics

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 15:41
Detroit, Michigan
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 2014 Olympics

Hi LP Nerd N.C.

Once your granddaughter officially makes the Olympic team, I would try to get a place to stay. We were able to get a condo in Vancouver where the whole family + coaches, trainers, etc. could stay if needed. I am not sure how the figure skating team works, but you should be assigned a team liaison who should be able to point you in the right direction.

This will be one of the most amazing experiences of your life. I am excited for you and your family, Good luck to your granddaughter.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,803 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2014 Olympics

Not much selection for direct flights from European gateways to Sochi, but that will change by Games Time. Delta has non-stop JFK-SVO with reasonable connections to Sochi on Aeroflot - very normal, relatively easy connection actually Another Delta option is routing via Istanbul then Turkish to Sochi but connecting flights both ways are at bad times. Again, do look for more options from European gateways by 2014.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2014 Olympics

Try calling someone at Ludus Tours. Its a travel agency run by former olympians. They will have the latest information about Sochi since they are well connected with the US Olympic Committee. They already have hotel packages.... www.wintergames.travel/hotel_packages.html

Good luck! I just got back from London and had a incredible time. If your granddaughter makes the team, you'll have the experience of a lifetime. The US Olympic Committee "rolls out the red carpet" for athletes and their families, i.e. they will feed and entertain you during the entirety of the games.

Get answers to your questions about Sochi