We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Irkutsk to Ulan Ude

Changsha, China
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Irkutsk to Ulan Ude

Hey Guys,

I'm going to be doing a trip across Russia in about 1 months time. I've got basically all my transport now sorted, apart from Irkutsk to Ulan Ude.

I know there are overnight trains that do the journey, but I'm wondering if anyone has information on if there are buses / minibuses / etc that leave Irkutsk fairly late in the day... as I've heard this is quicker and also cheaper.

Ideally I'd like a few hours in Ulan Ude before hopping on the train to Vladivostok and I think a bus would help me maximise my short stay in the city.

One other question... I'm going to be doing a fair amount of overnight travel on trains. Will these generally be equipped with shower facilities & will they be open to people in 2nd / 3rd class? (I'd be very happy to pay for the facilities if necessary).

Thanks a lot!

2 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
1. Re: Irkutsk to Ulan Ude

There is a paved highway across the whole country but there is no big bus service between Irkutsk and Ulan Ude. Most of the people prefer trains because they are cheaper,more comfortable,have the same travel time and more frequent.

Only alternative - minibusses. Minibus route №1059. They departs from railway stations every 2-3 hours since 07 00 am till 23 00. Trip takes 7 hours with 2 stops for break in Babushkin and Baikalsk.

Ticket costs 1000 rubles. You can contact the minibus company via VK.com - https://vk.com/uu_irkutsk or phone them +79149593935 (viber, w/a) and reserve the tickets. There are 13 seats in the minibus. They are in use mostly by people who coudnt buy a train ticket during the high season. I dont know why do you want to use a highway while there are dozens of trains running across the Transsiberian railway all through the day, but minibusses are an only way to use it.

As for trains. You can pay just 400 rubles and take a take a seat in the train which is even more comfortable than in minibus, or pay 1300 rubles more and got a "platskartny" 3rd class sleeping berth(looks like hard sleeper in China). Fresh linens, sleeping place.Half of such traincars already have air conditioners and vacuum toilets(tickets in such trains are 100-150 rubles higher).

2 class(or soft sleeper) costs 1500-1700(depends on train).

You can check info on official site of Russian Railways https://pass.rzd.ru/main-pass/public/en

As for showers in the trains-YES they are finally installed in some of them))).

Here the list.

fpc.ru/presentation/…20train.htm

As for 2017 there are at least several trains on your route with showers installed( 001/002 Moscow-Vladivostok, 081/082 Ulan Ude-Moscow, 057/058 Irkutsk-Kislovodsk, 322/321 Irkutsk-Zabaykalsk and there can be more of them for now).

Keep in mind that it is not for free(150 rubles for visit), and the shower located in the staff traincar (штабной вагон). You can ask your traincar attendant to show the way there. These shower cabins are available for all passengers including 3rd, 2nd and 1st class(actually they were made speccialy for 3rd and 2nd because VIP class passengers have already had their own showers in their compartments).

Changsha, China
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
2. Re: Irkutsk to Ulan Ude

Yep, trains look to be convenient - I just was wondering if it was possible to squeeze a few more hours out in Irkutsk and Ulan Ude as my schedule is fairly tight & I'd heard road can be quicker.

You're really kind, thanks for all the info!

Reply to: Irkutsk to Ulan Ude
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Irkutsk