We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to buy souvenirs in St. Peterburg -- in a hurry :-(

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
42 reviews
where to buy souvenirs in St. Peterburg -- in a hurry :-(

Hello, here on business for just a few days (sadly) and am working all day every day.

Which shop(s) could I visit in the evening to buy a few small souvenirs for friends and family ? I am staying in the University quarter, on Vasil. Island, not too far from Palace Bridge.

Or, can you buy reasonable quality reasonably priced souvenirs at the St. P. airport ?

I had the delight of a few hours at The Hermitage yesterday and found some lovely scarves, and Russian (fantastic!) construction cardboard sets (medieval castles - made in Russia) for my son.

Thank you !

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: where to buy souvenirs in St. Peterburg -- in a hurry :-(

Hi, BonjourduCanada and welcome to SPb!

Souvenir stores along Nevsky prospekt are open late. You can cross Palace Bridge via public transportation or on foot, pass the Hermitage and start walking from the beginning of Nevsky prospekt. There are few souvenir stores withing 2-3 blocks, look to your right. And you can continue walking - there are more stores all the way up to Gostiny Dvor shopping center (metro "Gostyniy Dvor") and the shopping center itself has large souvenir department (1st floor, Nevsky prospekt) and is open till 22:00 (10pm)

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: where to buy souvenirs in St. Peterburg -- in a hurry :-(

one more, some bookstores also have souvenirs and are open late.

- Chain book-store Bukvoed (Буквоед): Nevsky, 13 open till 23:00(11pm), Nevsky, 46 open 24 hour(!)

- Dom Knigi, Nevsky, 28 open till mid-night

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: where to buy souvenirs in St. Peterburg -- in a hurry :-(

Svetakoshka, I appreciate very much your replies - thank you. I had a lovely walk up Nevsky last evening in the fading sunshine and explored all of these places. It seems -- based on my limited knowledge of course -- that these souvenirs are generally of the same quality (not very good perhaps) and from the same manufacturer.

Are any of the items sold in the 'better quality' stores -- in Gostiny Dvor for example -- made in Russia, and are these souvenirs of better quality than the items sold in for example the 'tacky' souvenir shops along Nevsky ?

Many thanks again for your kind help.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: where to buy souvenirs in St. Peterburg -- in a hurry :-(

Me again !

Had a lovely evening of shopping in Gostiny Dvor. The shop's name is all in Russian so I can't write it here but it's the largest shop, with the widest variety of merchandise, along the 'back' of the aisle through G. D. (ie not on the side closest to Nevsky P, rather on the other side). Very friendly service and not pushy but rather very helpful and patient, and the quality of the goods here did seem to be higher than the tacky souvenir shops. At least certainly the quality of the presentation and of the service was definitely most agreeable.

Thank you again for your help S !

5. Re: where to buy souvenirs in St. Peterburg -- in a hurry :-(

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2013, 20:12