We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating in Russian fast food chains

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
359 reviews
Eating in Russian fast food chains

I’m thinking of Teremok, McDonald’s etc. Do they commonly have an English menu or even a picture menu so I can order confidently. Thanks

11 replies to this topic
Missouri
Level Contributor
6 posts
1. Re: Eating in Russian fast food chains

Just returned from 3 wks. in Russia & almost all restaurants in the tourist areas (including fast-food) have English menus upon request. Also many of the fast-food chains have computerized screens for ordering with English option, so no problem.

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Eating in Russian fast food chains

McDonalds usually has a multy-language card with pictures, my local Burger King and KFC have large screens with English names; I expect most places would be able to communicate with you. Actually, a hamburger is a hamburger in Russian as well. I also fully advice gettring a Russian data SIM and thus having a complete onoine translator...

Enjoy!

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
359 posts
3. Re: Eating in Russian fast food chains

@Robert W

Better use MarketPlace ( http://market-place.me/en/spb/ ) - they have more quality food and can be consider as an upscale fast food.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
29,093 posts
95 reviews
4. Re: Eating in Russian fast food chains

the fast food places in malls and such had English menus that you could request but we got much better food in deli/bakery type places which didn't. We were able to order by pointing to things and using our google translate when stuck which would present our request in Russian including the alphabet. the cafeterias are easy since you literally either just take the thing or point to it but the food is fairly bad in our experience.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
359 reviews
5. Re: Eating in Russian fast food chains

Thanks to all. The tips. Noted.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
86 reviews
6. Re: Eating in Russian fast food chains

Teremok certainly does and is a much better place to eat than McDonald's.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
283 posts
1 review
7. Re: Eating in Russian fast food chains

McDonald's is much cheaper than Teremok

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
261 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Eating in Russian fast food chains

>>McD is much cheaper than Teremok.

Not to split hairs, but that's debatable (at least the "much" part). If you take their respective calorific MOABs, which would be Big Teysty (Big&Tasty) burger and Ilya Muromets pancake, those would run you at 30 and 33 kopeks per calorie, respectively :-)

Mcd's free bathroom offering, which had, arguably, been their main competitive advantage, has lost relevance somewhat now that all fast food joints get to share the same food courts - and a common public bathroom.

Edited: 19 October 2018, 13:36
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
3,538 posts
248 reviews
9. Re: Eating in Russian fast food chains

My favourite is Mumu - not sure they had stretched their hands to Peterburg already.

Fast canteen type service, but real food - and spacious toilets :))

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
10. Re: Eating in Russian fast food chains

Teremok is awesome and cheap. They serve hot chicken soups too which was great because it was cold there in September. It's a chain restaurant, like Mc Donald, but they serve with real utensils and plates, unlike our US chain restaurants. They have a huge menu selection. Our guide told us they serve "pancakes", but they are not US pancakes...really they are crepes that you can order as desserts (sweet stuffing) or with meat. Delicious. I just learned that USA has Teremok now, so google them for better information. BTW, I just loved my Russia trips...super awesome country.

Reply to: Eating in Russian fast food chains
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted