We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single Entry vs Three Year Tourist Visa (US Citizen)

Single Entry vs Three Year Tourist Visa (US Citizen)

Hello!

I'm headed to St. Petersburg and Moscow next March and am in the process of deciding which is the best visa option. If I'm there for a total of 7 days and am only coming into the country once and leaving once, is there any reason I shouldn't apply for the single entry visa?

Obviously, it's significantly cheaper than the 3 year but ILS's website recommends getting the 3 year.

I've looked through previous threads but couldn't find the pro/con of single vs 3 year anywhere.

Thanks!

Jennifer

7 replies to this topic
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
12,326 posts
223 reviews
1. Re: Single Entry vs Three Year Tourist Visa (US Citizen)

If there is a possibility that you will want to re-visit within three years then a three-year visa makes sense, otherwise it doesn't.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
86 reviews
2. Re: Single Entry vs Three Year Tourist Visa (US Citizen)

If you know for sure that you will go to Russia only once, then just get a single visa. 3Y visa is perfect for those who go to Russia once or twice a year or transit through Russia from time to time (Aeroflot has some good deals). If you decide to get a 3Y visa, the process is almost identical to applying for single visa. Prices are obviously different.

3. Re: Single Entry vs Three Year Tourist Visa (US Citizen)

Perfect, Thank you so much! That's what I suspected but wanted confirmation. I appreciate it!

Jennifer

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
29,089 posts
95 reviews
4. Re: Single Entry vs Three Year Tourist Visa (US Citizen)

When we went to Russia a few years ago the cost was the same, so we got a 3 year visa and then visited again the next year -- but they changed the pricing since then and it makes no sense to buy more than you will use. Although if you decide to go back, you will wish you had done the 3 year.

United States
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
5. Re: Single Entry vs Three Year Tourist Visa (US Citizen)

I had this same question when I applied for a visa earlier this year. I called ILS to find out if there was some reason I was missing for the 3year, but they told me it was fine to do the single entry which I went with for the cost savings. I don’t expect to go back in the next 3 years.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Single Entry vs Three Year Tourist Visa (US Citizen)

You only need single entry visa. The tour website or company will tell you that too. Other websites might say you need 3 year, but you really don't. Just came back from SP & Moscow...we were there in Sep18

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
27 reviews
7. Re: Single Entry vs Three Year Tourist Visa (US Citizen)

If this is your first visit, you might find it is very different than all your friends, who never have been here, told you and will typically have a completely opposite opinion.

Few places have such a gulf between those who come and those who ever were here before. Since you are going to love it or not, you would be a lot more likely to return if there was no application or cost over the next 3 years. It makes even a 3 day long weekend trip worth it. Have you every returned to a country or specific city before after experiencing it once? If so, I would guess the odds of St Petersburg or Russia in general will be high on your list for return visits. If you are more of "done that, next!" type, get the visa for the single entry.

A surprising number of World Cup visitors this summer have already returned. I have run into several groups from Brazil and other countries, who were not frequent travelers, came back.

Reply to: Single Entry vs Three Year Tourist Visa (US Citizen)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted