We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple trip in June

Arnold, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
79 reviews
Couple trip in June

Hi

I am toying with the idea of visiting St. Petersburg in June for 5-6 nights but I have some questions.

Firstly, is it a safe city? I don't want to listen to everything in the media but I have no idea what to expect.

Secondly, other than museums what is there to do? Does it have a good restaurant/bar scene or is it mainly museums?

Thirdly, if I were to visit, which district would you recommend I stay in?

Thank you.

15 replies to this topic
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
904 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: Couple trip in June

//Firstly, is it a safe city?

Of course, no. Drunken white bears wandering the streets kill from Kalashnikov all western tourists.

Edited: 07 March 2018, 14:03
Holt, Missouri
Level Contributor
622 posts
60 reviews
2. Re: Couple trip in June

love2travl08: Compared to London or New York or Paris? StP is about as safe as a major tourist destination gets.

There are pickpockets, of course. Just take the usual precautions.

andres16 - heh. But be careful - some western tourists are so silly that they might believe what you say!

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
856 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Couple trip in June

> Does it have a good restaurant/bar scene or is it mainly museums?<

There are plenty of good restorants/bar. Just have a look at these three at least: Moskva restaurant (roof top terrace, www.moskvavpitere.ru), Liverpool bar (www.liverpool.ru), Teplo (http://v-teple,ru/mobile/eng)

>if I were to visit, which district would you recommend I stay in?<

Admiralteisky d. is centrally located in between the Neva & Fontanka rivers.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
784 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Couple trip in June

It's a very safe city love2travl08. The people are very reserved and respectful, and very well dressed. Nobody bothers you when you are out and about. My wife and I have been walking between 5 and 8 km everyday. People just mind their own business, and get on with their lives. Most pedestrians are women.

The media reports about Russia that I see in Canada bear little or no resemblance to the reality that I see here in Russia. For example, I spent 4 days around New Years in a dacha with 20 other Russians about 200 km east of Saint Petersburg. There's no doubt that a wolf ate the pet dog about a month before we arrived. And in the spring of 2017, a bear dug up another dog's grave. But the worst thing that happened to me was I lost 10 (ten) games of checkers to an eleven year old from the city of Kirov. We're negotiating a rematch.

There's a good restaurant scene. A friend came to see us from Moscow in January, and we were hard pressed to find a restaurant with 3 empty seats (on a Friday night). There are many fine cafes too. We've been to a wine bar, and it was a very good experience. From the outside, the bars look great.

It's a world cultural capital, but a regular city too. Here's link to get started:

http://www.saint-petersburg.com/

Just by reading your words, you might want to look at staying within a km of Palace Square, or otherwise moving up Nevsky Prospect from there.

Good luck.

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
221 posts
66 reviews
5. Re: Couple trip in June

“ heh. But be careful - some western tourists are so silly that they might believe what you say”

Vinteui1 Some of us have mother in laws who insist we must have a guide with us at all times because “Russia is notoriously difficult to get around and I wouldn’t want to have to rescue the children from a gulag.” Seriously. Those were her exact words. <rolls eyes>

OP, it’s a big city. Be sensible, Watch out for pickpockets, but yes, it’s perfectly safe for tourists. We even accidentally ended up lost way out on the outskirts on the way to Catherine’s Palace and loads of locals tried to help us figure out where we wanted to be <two further metro stops away!>

We loved it and my son and daughter can’t wait to go back.

Nittedal...
Level Contributor
314 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Couple trip in June

> I am toying with the idea of visiting St. Petersburg in June for 5-6 nights but I have some questions.

Firstly, is it a safe city?

beginning June, before start of World Cup, if groups of drunken british football supporters are not yet arrived, yes, that will safe. When the crowds of Brits will be there, God knows.

And fortunately, Ukraine didn't qualify for the cup, so probably no hords of galician divisions.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
3,633 posts
253 reviews
7. Re: Couple trip in June

Drunken white bears wandering the streets kill from Kalashnikov all western tourists.

- And brown bears smash those who escape with their bass-balalajkas

Level Contributor
195 posts
1 review
8. Re: Couple trip in June

I think it is safer than LA or Paris. Maybe London's safety level.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
904 posts
95 reviews
9. Re: Couple trip in June

@vinteui1

"some western tourists are so silly that they might believe what you say!"

Some western tourists read newpapers every day -

dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-52000…

How one cannot trust "Free and independent British media"?

Edited: 09 March 2018, 08:39
Holt, Missouri
Level Contributor
622 posts
60 reviews
10. Re: Couple trip in June

andres16 - I love it! Thousands of hungry bears, seizing control of Elagin Park, I suppose, and roaming at will down Nevskiy Prospekt in search of helpless tourists to trample & dismember!

Reply to: Couple trip in June
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted