We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transfer between railway stations

Heacham
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
transfer between railway stations

We were originally booked on a through train from Helsinki to Moscow, but they cancelled it and we now have to transfer between stations in St Petersburg. I have been offered a pre-booked transfer for 60 pounds sterling, but that sounds a bit much. Can anybody advise if it is easy to get a taxi to transfer between stations ay 7.30 at night or should I book as transfer. I speak No Russian. There will be 4 of us in the party.

Any advice welcomed.

Lyn

3 replies to this topic
Nittedal...
Level Contributor
261 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transfer between railway stations

> We were originally booked on a through train from Helsinki to Moscow, but they cancelled it

that what the finnish "Tolstoï" train then, cancellation are uncommon on these trains, maybe you could book another day. I have travelled often on the "Allegro", similar train, between Helsinki and SPb.

>it is easy to get a taxi to transfer between stations ay 7.30 at night

If you take the Allegro train from Helsinki, it arrives at Finland station, on Lenin Square. There's the metro station, line 1, and the second stop, direction Prospekt Veteranov, is Square Vosstaniya and the Moscow railway station, from where you board train to Moscow (Leningradsky railway station...)

SPb metro is very well signalized, also in english.

Exit the small Allegro zone in Finland station, walk to the left and turn the corner, where you'll see the main gates of the station and the metro entrance/exit doors.

Buy tickets, get down, just one line there ("1", red), walk to the "Prospekt Veteranov" track, get out at second stop, and exit by the corridor where it says "railway station" maybe not in english but there will be a logo of a train.

No need to speak for buying tickets, just hand the money, optionally show fingers for amount of tickets. The current rate is 45rb, so four persons, you give 180 if you have exact amount, or 2x100 banknotes and they return you 20 rb. I don't think they take cards at the window (have always bought cash...seen no cards logo and anyway it goes too fast to spend time with cards payment).

SPb single tickets are a small copper token with an M, you insert it in the turnstile.

if you have huge luggage you should, in theory, buy also a luggage ticket, it's a white plastic token, same price than single token.

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,356 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transfer between railway stations

To save time you can pay in St.Petersburg metro with Visa/MasterCard smart payment cards on the luggage turnstile, by touching the reader. 7:30 pm could be traffic jams, if you can manage your group and luggage-take metro, if taking a taxi-have an extra hour of time to be on a safe side...

Level Contributor
191 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: transfer between railway stations

Yeah, it is not London with single ticket 11 pounds. 4 tickets cost a little bit more than 2 pounds :D For any distance.

Reply to: transfer between railway stations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted