We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport to Hotel

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
493 posts
17 reviews
Airport to Hotel

What would you suggest as the best way to get from the airport to my hotel near the Mariinsky Theater? We are a middle aged couple with one large suitcase each. Would the metro (especially stairs) be too much to handle? How much would a taxi be? Is there an "official" taxi stand?

Edited: 03 September 2017, 22:18
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
784 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Airport to Hotel

Take a taxi. Here is a cut and paste from a post of mine on August 24:

'Just before you exit Pulkovo Airport, you'll see the official taxi desk (might be to your left, somewhat behind you -- ignore the people on the way who approach you and offer you a ride). You pay for your taxi at the desk, a longish desk - you'll receive a receipt with the details, including the make of the taxi. Go outside and find your taxi - might be a 50+ metre walk and across a traffic lane. The taxi will take you to your hotel. You can tip if you like.'

In July, our taxi cost 800 - 900 rubles.

Good luck

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
493 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Airport to Hotel

Thank you so much for your quick response.

I thought that I read that tipping taxi drivers is usually not done. If it is indeed expected, what's an appropriate tip?

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
784 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Airport to Hotel

It's not really expected. Occasionally, a driver will ask me what's the money (tip) for... but I tip anyway. 100 rubles is good for your trip.

Good luck.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
784 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Airport to Hotel

Yes, English is spoken at the desk.

Good luck

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Airport to Hotel

There are three price categories for taxis from Pulkovo: 2000, 1500 and 1050 rubles for a journey to central StP. You need to tell them which one you want, or they'll assume you want the Luxury at 2000 R.

Prices have gone up steeply, iirc it was 600 or 700 last year.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Airport to Hotel

There are three price categories for central StP from Pulkovo: 2000, 1500 or 1050. Luxury, standard and economy, respectively.

Make sure you tell them which you want, or they assume you want the luxury.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
784 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Airport to Hotel

I just got word from a friend in Saint Petersburg who flew in from Crimea on September 1 - he took Uber from Pulkovo Airport to central Saint Petersburg for 487 rubles. The service was excellent - clean car, driver opened door for him, and driver asked which genre of music (if any) he wanted to hear. Etc.

Otherwise, Another T's taxi prices are correct. Thanks to he or she for the latest information. Very helpful.

Good luck.

Holt, Missouri
Level Contributor
622 posts
60 reviews
8. Re: Airport to Hotel

I always use the airport bus (#39) + Metro to get from LED to the city center. It gives you a good introduction to StP's excellent public transport system, and it's ridiculously cheap - ₽40 for the bus & ₽45 for the metro. Steps up & down are generally pretty manageable.

Unfortunately, getting from the metro to the Mariinsky area isn't easy, and won't be until at least 2019, when the new Teatralnaya stop on Metro 4 is supposed to open. If you've got a couple of big suitcases, you'd probably better take a cab.

9. Re: Airport to Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2018, 06:17