We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buses

UK
Level Contributor
220 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Buses

Hi all

Apologies if this has come up before - I can't seem to find an answer online.

Do buses in Petersburg currently have the name of the next stop indicated on a screen inside in the bus? I am thinking this would make it easier for me to use them without having to bother other passengers!

Many thanks

7 replies to this topic
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Buses

1. It fully depend on bus model (newest buses have such thing, but there are all in Russian). It is not th screen but something like a small text display with flowing text.

2. Some buses had English bus stops announces - by only routing in the city center.

3. It is better to use either old style paper map or google maps. There are stops there and you can easily find the next one and where to board off.

UK
Level Contributor
220 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buses

Thanks you for your full reply! I suspected it might depend on the particular bus.

Text in Russian is OK, but I will take your advice about making sure I've got a map for those buses that don't have any display. Or I'll count stops. :)

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,401 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buses

A very convenient Yandex Transport app allows you to monitor buses live on the map, estimate arrival time to a particular stop, etc - works in most Russian cities. I think you can open it in a desktop version before installing an app...

UK
Level Contributor
220 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buses

Thanks, Vasily! I shall have to check my roving data allowance, as this sounds useful.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buses

We used google maps, and it worked just fine.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buses

We used Moovit app which was very helpful

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
159 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buses

At the start of our trip, we used Buses with help of Google and Yandex maps. Later on we observed that taxies are also good mode of transport and not expensive too with the help of Yandex and Uber app......buying ticket was also very easy on the buses...you will find one conductor on board and they will give you ticket.

Reply to: Buses
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted