We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

booking train from St. Petersburg to Moscow

Israel
Level Contributor
475 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
booking train from St. Petersburg to Moscow

Is it better to book the Sapsan online, or in person once I get to St. Petersburg? Is there a difference in price? If better to book online, which is the official site? If in person, via the ticket office or machines?

Mentioned in this post
St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg
Northwestern District, Russia
10 replies to this topic
Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,202 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: booking train from St. Petersburg to Moscow

It is surely better to book Sapsan online, sales start 60 days before departure and become more expensive closer to departure and may sell out. Russian Railways website is www.rzd.ru and is your sure sourse for railway tickets. Ticket office or ticket machine - they all refer to the same ticket stock as website and are regulated by the same pricing rules.

Israel
Level Contributor
475 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: booking train from St. Petersburg to Moscow

Thank you. What is the difference among the various classes--economy, economy+, etc?

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
530 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: booking train from St. Petersburg to Moscow

Can't say for the most expensive class, but economy+ isn't worth the extra money. The service is more or less the same as for the cheapest class.

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,202 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: booking train from St. Petersburg to Moscow

pass.rzd.ru/static/public/en…

Sapsan train classes. Economy plus has a power socket and an inch of extra legroom.

Cheapest economy seats are OK.

Enjoy!

Israel
Level Contributor
475 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: booking train from St. Petersburg to Moscow

My husband spent hours today trying to book tickets via the official site .After finally getting to the last step, something like "bad parameters" appeared and the transaction could not be completed. Someone told me that the site will not accept reservations by holders of foreign passports. Is that true? If not, any suggestions how to book online successfully? I'm afraid that if we wait to book when we arrive there will not be room or the price will have gone up sharply.

Thanks for any advice.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
12,009 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: booking train from St. Petersburg to Moscow

> After finally getting to the last step, something like "bad parameters" appeared and the transaction could not be completed

Are you using their half-cooked new version or trusted old version? Read the messages on top and click on "use old version" when prompted.

> Someone told me that the site will not accept reservations by holders of foreign passports. Is that true?

Nonsense. Make sure you choose "foreign document" and not "international passport".

Have you read the forum FAQ on trains?

https:/…Russian.Trains.And.Ticketing.html

Israel
Level Contributor
475 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: booking train from St. Petersburg to Moscow

Tried the old version. Same problem. Any other suggestions?

If we have no choice but to book when we arrive, will the machines offer English? Will an actual ticket agent be able to help us, despite the language barrier??

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,202 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: booking train from St. Petersburg to Moscow

What date are you looking at booking? Surely within booking limit?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: booking train from St. Petersburg to Moscow

I booked online last summer with a foreign passport, no problem at all

Israel
Level Contributor
475 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: booking train from St. Petersburg to Moscow

Finally succeeded, after many many attempts. Of course, the price has risen sharply from when we first tried. Have no idea of what the problem was. Very frustrating, but at least it's done.

Reply to: booking train from St. Petersburg to Moscow
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted