We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Russia

sydney
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Russia

I am planning to visit Russia : Moscow and St Petersburg , I am 60 years old and will go alone ,my question is how safe is it for a female traveler , and any ideas on an itinerary.

thank you

Mentioned in this post
Russia
Russia
Europe
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg
Northwestern District, Russia
Private Tour of Hermitage and General...
2 Reviews
from US$72.00*
Free Cancellation
River Boat Trip in St. Petersburg
6 Reviews
from US$105.00*
Free Cancellation
5 replies to this topic
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
12,019 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Russia

> my question is how safe is it for a female traveler

At least as safe as London or Chicago.

> any ideas on an itinerary

Do you have any idea of what you want to see? What brings you here of all places?

Edited: 28 August 2017, 10:43
Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,951 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Russia

For a lady I would say it's much safer than most places in Europe - one will offer you a seat if by any chance you choose to ride the metro in the rush hour;

anyway, when I climb the steps up and down in the metro, in most cases a fellow gentleman passenger helps me with my swimming-pool bag.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Russia

A wonderful trip report from " a solo female traveller in her mid sixties" https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g298507… Note that it was in 2012 so some things like prices/opening times/etc. might be different by now but you still can get a general idea to help you start planning.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,951 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Russia

Oh, good idea, Sveta!

There are quite a few reviews in the forum, I remember one just recently, from a lady in San Jose, I guess, very sensible, a lot of details and good advice

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Russia

I have just spent a fortnight on my own in St Peterburg, it was the best holdiay I have had in years! I felt safer here than in, for example, London! People have been brilliant, helpful, kind! (I will be sixty in the winter!).

Depending on your interests, and the length and season of your stay - there are so many things to see and explore!

My best piece of advice is: don't feel you have to visit the Hermitage if you are here for a short time! Or at least, go to the General staff building only (the impressionist and expressionist art on the fourth floor).

There are so many small, fantastic museums.

I would also say, try to visit at least one museum or site relating the history of the Leningrad blockade, in order to get some small sense of the soul of this amazing city.

I will be writing up my visit and posting here soon. This forum has been extremely helpful to me (as a silent reader!), I would like to add some idas too.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
The General Staff Building
The General Staff...
808 Reviews
St. Petersburg, Russia
Leningrad Oblast
Leningrad Oblast
Northwestern District, Russia