We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City bus tour to Catherine Palace Pushkin

south Africa
12 posts
Save Topic
City bus tour to Catherine Palace Pushkin

Hi.

I am traveling solo to St Petersburg in early September. It seems recommended to travel to Catherine Palace via a tour, but most of them are really expensive. The South African currency does not hold up well, unfortunately.

Citybus tours seems to be the most reasonably priced option & has a 5 hour tour with an English speaking guide for 3500 rubles. .https://en.gocitybus.ru/cruise/suburban/ekskursiya-v-pushkin-na-angliyskom.html

Has anyone travelled with them and would you recommend them. If not is there another reasonably priced option.

Thank you for your assistance

Mentioned in this post
St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg
Northwestern District, Russia
8 replies to this topic
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: City bus tour to Catherine Palace Pushkin

"It seems recommended to travel to Catherine Palace via a tour"

Could you, please, share here the reasons, why it is and who is recommended?

south Africa
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: City bus tour to Catherine Palace Pushkin

Just a sense I got from reading online, nothing official and no one in particular. My impressions is that "it seems" recommended.

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,297 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: City bus tour to Catherine Palace Pushkin

Bus tour to Catherine Palace is indeed a good idea - lines for individual visitors are long, and timeslot for walk-ins is small. In the season you can spend time in the line and not get in - bus tour is a guaranteed way to get in. Early September - still a time to get a bus tour. Enjoy!

Israel
Level Contributor
480 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: City bus tour to Catherine Palace Pushkin

Which tours would you recommend? Do they need to be booked in advance, or can you arrange it once you arrive in St. Petersburg?

Mentioned in this post
St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg
Northwestern District, Russia
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,331 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: City bus tour to Catherine Palace Pushkin

For one person that bus tour seems well priced. When we were there the only group tour we could find required us to go to some hotel to meet the tour and cost a good deal more than that. For about the same price I booked a private guide on Tours by Locals who drove us there, arranged entry so we had no lines and guided us through at our pace avoiding the tour groups that clog up the place. It was money well spent. But for one person, you aren't going to do much better than that and this is one site where having a tour guide is useful because the process for individuals is difficult. You have to get there and there are only limited time slots for individual entry and lines etc etc. Generally Petersburg is easy to tour on your own, but this is one spot where a guide can be useful. For the Peterhof gardens we had the hotel book us a car there and then we took the hydrofoil back and that was also cheaper than the tours we looked at and a very enjoyable way to do the trip.

Mentioned in this post
Peterhof
Peterhof
Petrodvortsovy District, Russia
KCH
Sydney
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: City bus tour to Catherine Palace Pushkin

I did it myself solo about two weeks ago. Yes the line to get in is horrendous. But if you book online, it's OK. You can't redeem the prepaid voucher until 12:00. But you are there early, you can go to Alexander Park. If you are time constrained, just get a palace park ticket (not expensive) to see the park first and then the palace later.

If you get ticket online, you enter in via a different entrance at the back of the palace building and avoid the crazy queue.

Mentioned in this post
Alexander Park
Alexander Park
256 Reviews
Pushkin, Russia
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
159 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: City bus tour to Catherine Palace Pushkin

We were there in mid of July. We decided to do the same at our own. We reached till Palace comfortably but Queue to enter in the palace to buy ticket was too long. Please note that entrance to part was easy without eny long queue but then you have to queue in to enter in palace to buy ticket and then there might be another queue to enter the palace. TI could not find separate queue for those with holding online ticket. At least 3-4 hours to enter. We finally decided to just roam around and we did not enter in the palace. I saw separate entrance for guided tours, hence I suggest to go with some tour and avoid queuing. It will save your time and you can invest that time to see further beautiful places.

KCH
Sydney
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: City bus tour to Catherine Palace Pushkin

There is a separate booth to redeem the online ticket. There was absolutely no line at all for the booth. After you get the tickets, you go to the back entrance of the palace building. This is the same entrance as the guided tour groups. There are two depending if you are doing route 1 or 2. So I think if you book online yourself, you will get in as quick as through a tour.

The only downside to DIY is that you can only enter after 12:00. So you can't do the park first, only after the palace. But as I said, I paid for a park ticket to get in in the morning. Park ticket booths has no queue and it's not expensive.

Edited: 04 September 2017, 05:44
Reply to: City bus tour to Catherine Palace Pushkin
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted