We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe as a man alone to travel to Russia ?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe as a man alone to travel to Russia ?

I am planning to travel to Moscow and St Petersburg alone as a man on my own in late April for a week . I just wonder if it is safe as alone traveler in these cities, I just read from some travel books ,there especially in Moscow, tourists can still get mugged, Police on the streets can stop you and demand an on the spot fine from you for no reason and Asian Tourists ( I am Asian ) can be targeted for attack by some hate groups. Of course, I know it will be better to join a guided tour but I am always more interested in doing it myself on travels and I really want to go to the historic and engrossing Moscow and St.Petersburg.

Please advise on what I should do to stay alert. And Thanks for all replies in advance

44 replies to this topic
Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,362 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe as a man alone to travel to Russia ?

Please read plenty of reports on this very forum. There is no fake police, plenty of non-attacked Asians on the streets, and Moscow is probably safer than any North American megapolis...

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
6,428 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe as a man alone to travel to Russia ?

Total, or very outdated, nonsense. Go and have a great time. I find Moscow to be WAY safer than most large US cities. For one thing, there are a lot of cops all over, and NO they do NOT hassle tourists - in fact, I often turn to them for help if i get lost, and find them all to be very helpful. Any they even now have so-called "tourist police" who speak a number of languages, and are there specifically to assist tourists (well, am sure they would do any usual police work as well!)

Edited: 03 February 2018, 00:49
New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,239 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe as a man alone to travel to Russia ?

The biggest single group of tourists in Moscow are the Chinese. And the chances of you getting mugged in Toronto are greater.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
763 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe as a man alone to travel to Russia ?

Relax Davie, you'll be okay. There are lots of Asians in Russia (and specifically Moscow and Saint Petersburg). Take a look at the demographics.

I know Toronto quite well, and you are more likely to find trouble in Toronto, including being ripped off by taxi-drivers.

I was visiting my uncle at Mount Sinai Hospital a couple of years ago. Next day, somebody was randomly knifed to death roughly where I had got a taxi outside the hospital at about 3:00 PM (15:00). You'll find it in archived news.I'm sure by now you've read about Toronto's worst serial killer who is in jail while the police search for more bodies.

Good luck. Relax.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe as a man alone to travel to Russia ?

Thank You for all your replies. Though today I read another travel book " Lonely Planet " saying that unfortunately, there is an ongoing epidemic of racist attacks in Moscow and St.Petersburg and advising non Russians , especially Asians, taking a taxi at night instead of Metro, I will still go to Moscow as planned in April and take an overnight train to St.Petersburg after listening to all your replies which really give me a boost of confidence on traveling alone in Russia. Thank You all, again.

Vladivostok, Russia
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe as a man alone to travel to Russia ?

A whole load of bull that gets reprinted year after year because it kinda meets everyone expectations and thus no one bothers to check. Black people might encounter some not exactly peasant curiosity from the locals, because blacks historically are almost unheard of in Russia, but Asians… well, Asians are dime a dozen even among the native peoples of Russia, so everyone got used to them centuries ago. There been isolated cases of racist loons some dozen years ago, but the (non-fake, LOL) police long have moved on them, suppressing them with the commendable swiftness. And the single most numerous group among the foreign tourists are Chinese, who only ever sem to get up the steam more and more.

Vladivostok, Russia
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe as a man alone to travel to Russia ?

There might be other reason for such remarks, BTW. Because of the long and quite competitive history of ethnic and racial relations in Russia (one century it's Asians conquering Slavs, the other one it's vice versa, etc), the prevaling attitude from the every side it rather "if you cannot take the joke, you shouldn't have joined". The race and ethnicity is discussed (and joked about) qute openly and without much regard for the political correctness, which is not generally seen as offensive by the locals (including the minorities), but can be perceived as such by the foreigners who are more touchy about the subject.

Edited: 04 February 2018, 04:04
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,598 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe as a man alone to travel to Russia ?

there are FAR more Asians in Russia than you are envisioning.

you'll actually be shocked by the diversity. Sure, not many Africans , but far more Asians than you are imagining.

Moscow, Moscow...
Level Contributor
55 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe as a man alone to travel to Russia ?

Davie L,

Its very good advise from "Lonely Planet book" to take taxi at night insted of Metro, mostly coz Metro not work at nigh...

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
6,428 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe as a man alone to travel to Russia ?

It may be shocking to folks outside of Russia, especially with the current political situation, to learn Russia is in fact far more of a "melting pot" than many if not most countries in the West, including US and Canada. As a country with history reaching back not hundreds of years, but well over a thousand, whose overall geography...since a long time ago, includes territories with many, many different "ethnic" groups (and intermarriage among them), including Asian, folks from the Caucasus, etc...as you visit, simply do a lot of people watching, and you will see that there are certainly a lot of "Asian-looking" folks. That is also one reason I love to ride the Metro...you get a very real impression of the gamma of different origins. The only thing that DOES happen is local authorities DO pay a lot of attention to folks who obviously are from areas like Central Asia who may be there illegally...checking papers, etc.

Reply to: Is it safe as a man alone to travel to Russia ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted