We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel refused to let me check-in ; not allow me to stay in

Kuching, Malaysia
5 posts
Hotel refused to let me check-in ; not allow me to stay in

Im travel to russia for about 22 days, among 3 City and each city or each place im stay is less than 7 working days. Im stay at Moscow for 6 working days(Airbnb) , stay at murmansk camp for 3 days, (booking.com) for polar light hunting, stay at one of the hotel at murmansk city center for 3 days(hotels.com), then stay at st petersburg for 6 working days(Airbnb).

Today im arrive Moscow and im booked 2 night at Novotel Moscow kievskaya (hotels.com). The hotel reception refuse to let me stay or check-in reason is because I don't have migration registration for my previous place of stay even im explained each place im stay less than 7 working days at each place and show them my air ticket or train ticket. The reception dont accept it and tell me that registration must be done after 7 days since arrived russia no matter how many place or city u had visited.

Am im wrong on the migration registration definition?

Advise needed pls

17 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
385 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Hotel refused to let me check-in ; not allow me to stay in

it's none of their business...

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
6,479 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Hotel refused to let me check-in ; not allow me to stay in

We had a long, heated debate here as to how the "7 business day rule" applied...at the end of it, someone grabbed the FEDERAL guidelines (there are some local ones that are at best ambiguous- and I read and speak Russian fluently). and it clearly said "for each city visited". I have to say I have traveled all over Russia, and have never had anyone "demand" that I show them my previous registration...though one time I did happen to have it on me (VERY rare for me, and for most since hotels nowadays tend to not give you this paperwork - a hunk of paper- unless you ask for it). All I am ever asked for, quite reasonably, is my passport with visa and migration card...

Sounds like this is already over, so I am curious as to what you did? Technically, you could just find another place which knew the rules...but a bit of a hassle for you to say the least. I suspect if you had time, you could ask them to contact the previous hotel, but even this is a bit silly...

Kuching, Malaysia
5 posts
3. Re: Hotel refused to let me check-in ; not allow me to stay in

Luckly Novotel accepted my refund request and im found another hotel nearby which accept for me to stay 2 night

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
6,479 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Hotel refused to let me check-in ; not allow me to stay in

Sorry you had this issue...it is odd because I think the Novotel gets a lot of foreign tourist business...anyone checking here in the future might want to avoid based on your experience...

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
5. Re: Hotel refused to let me check-in ; not allow me to stay in

You could say the previous hotel did not give you a registration (which is quite common).The main document is migration card - without it hotel definitely will not let you in.

Kuching, Malaysia
5 posts
6. Re: Hotel refused to let me check-in ; not allow me to stay in

Today going to fly back to my own country and I just passed immigration control without any problem even without single piece of migration registration paper. Immigration Officer dint even ask any question about it

Level Contributor
192 posts
1 review
7. Re: Hotel refused to let me check-in ; not allow me to stay in

How did you enjoy your trip? I mean Malasya is hot country but Russia is cold and you were brave to travel in winter time :) Hope you experienced snow.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
6,479 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Hotel refused to let me check-in ; not allow me to stay in

Passing thru passport control upon leaving country...yes, as covered here many, many times, all these folks look for, require is passport with visa and your immigration CARD, NOT any other paperwork...sorry you had any worries here!

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
3,397 posts
244 reviews
9. Re: Hotel refused to let me check-in ; not allow me to stay in

I guess they had gone a bit bercerk with security issues; and they are not alone.

I visited an opera after a swimming-pool - naturally, with a bumpy bag - towels, slippers, theatre shoes etc.; had quite a discussion at the entrance. The funny thing is that in summer I was there with even a bigger bag, coming back from the countryside and with the whole theatre outfit there, had no problem whatsoever.

It happens, I must admit - when a high security campaign starts, usually during school vacations, people can loose their common sense.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
10. Re: Hotel refused to let me check-in ; not allow me to stay in

Yes, you are wrong and NOVOTEL is right.

7 days allowed for registration in EACH city does not mean you have the right not to be registered at the first city - or any other city on your way.

This being said, the hotel has not right to let you in, because under Russian law your stay in Russia has by this time become illegal. Hotels are checked by Federal migration service and the fine is about 15 000 USD for each illegal visitor.

You chose to travel independently without a travel agent support- who would have explained that to you in advance, That was your personal risk to take and the hotel NOVOTEL is not responsible for your mistakes. You can not request them to risk USD 15 000 in order to earn USD 300 you are paying for your stay.

Edited: 10 January 2018, 22:24
Reply to: Hotel refused to let me check-in ; not allow me to stay in
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted