We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moscow to St Petersburg - best mode of transport

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Moscow to St Petersburg - best mode of transport

World Cup - we need to get from Moscow to St Petersburg Monday 2 July for game on the 3rd of July.

We are staying in centre of both cities. Fast train is about 4 hours v flying in 1.5 however it looks like i will spend a lot more time travelling to and from airports rather than train station.

Costs are about the same. What i want is the most hassle free as i am traveling with young son.

If we were to fly - which airline is most reliable

Thanks

21 replies to this topic
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
12,268 posts
222 reviews
1. Re: Moscow to St Petersburg - best mode of transport

You answered your own question: flying will add hassle and save no time center-to-center. Train it is.

https:/…Russian.Trains.And.Ticketing.html

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
928 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Moscow to St Petersburg - best mode of transport

Hello

I browsed the site rzd.ru.

Is it correct that tickets can be bought only 2 months in advance?

I did search today for Moscow- St.P and the maximum date it is showing is January 13.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
12,268 posts
222 reviews
3. Re: Moscow to St Petersburg - best mode of transport

Let me quote the FAQ for you:

"The earliest tickets go on sale is 45 or 60 days before the departure date depending on the train"

Here's the link to the FAQ again in case you missed it:

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g298484-c179997/Moscow…

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
3,409 posts
244 reviews
4. Re: Moscow to St Petersburg - best mode of transport

Agree - the train appears to be the most sensible choice;

Consider the night train - you save the fare for 1 hotel night

I would always travel by night trains if I did not hate so much their rattling toilets and noisy neighbours in the compartment.

Level Contributor
192 posts
1 review
5. Re: Moscow to St Petersburg - best mode of transport

Grand Express is for you than :)

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
3,409 posts
244 reviews
6. Re: Moscow to St Petersburg - best mode of transport

Reminds too much of Agatha Christie's stories :)))

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
7. Re: Moscow to St Petersburg - best mode of transport

Only trains, choose Sapsan (4 hours train) if you want to get more time in the cities or overnigh train if you want to save on a hotel. Cheap Sapsan departures can cost same as overnight train and it will save you 4-5 hours.

Edited: 16 November 2017, 13:07
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Moscow to St Petersburg - best mode of transport

Fantastic - thanks all for your help. Fast train it is- to give us more time in St Petersburg. The 45 -60 day rule is a bit frustrating but it is what it is. My only concern is that with the World cup being on - it might be a mad rush once they become available. I am thinking that some of the agents ie www.russiantrains.com must have a preferential arrangment with Russian Railroads and that booking with them would give me some surety. I am not worried about a few extra $.

Any advice

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,417 posts
15 reviews
9. Re: Moscow to St Petersburg - best mode of transport

Particularly for St.Petersburg trains sales start 60 days in advance-it is clearly shown in color on booking calendar at www.rzd.ru. No agent can sell you anything before that date.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
12,268 posts
222 reviews
10. Re: Moscow to St Petersburg - best mode of transport

> I am thinking that some of the agents ie www.russiantrains.com must have a preferential arrangment with Russian Railroads

No they don't. They will be happy to make a guess about the next year's timetable, take your money well in advance and sit on it until the tickets go on sale (if they do). Then they will either buy you a ticket (pocketing a handsome markup) or refund you if they can't. They are not losing in any case.

Reply to: Moscow to St Petersburg - best mode of transport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted