We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental at David Airport

San Luis Obispo...
2 posts
Car Rental at David Airport

Hello, I will be flying into Enrique Malek Airport in David and renting a car at the airport. I understand from other posts here there is a mandatory liability insurance daily rate added. One poster said the insurance is $18.50 per day, is this still accurate?

If I add $18.50 per day to the total price I was quoted online, would that be my final cost for the car rental?

Thank you!

5 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
6,056 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: Car Rental at David Airport

Depending on the type of car you rent and who you rent from, the mandatory liability insurance is either $16.99 from Thrifty (provided you have collision,etc. coverage from your credit card), or $18.50 or $23.50 from the other companies. This is not necessarily the only additional charges. There are also local airport fees and other fees and taxes added on. The best rule of thumb to avoid surprises at return time is double whatever price you are quoted online.

Fulshear, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Car Rental at David Airport

Rented from Thrifty in David, Panama Feb. of 2015 for about 7 days. They tried to charge me about $200 for the insurance. One of the Reps was there and basically chewed them out and they eventually gave me the insurance for about a $100 for 7 days, in addition to the rental I did online for about $9 day.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
6,056 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: Car Rental at David Airport

If you read the rental contract of any car rental company in Panama you'll see that they do not accept online, third party insurance. You can pay whatever, and it's still not accepted. The only third party insurance accepted in Panama is the CDW provided by the credit card used to rent the car.

Fulshear, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Car Rental at David Airport

Thank you. Just had a conversation with Am Ex. and they gave me the same info. I stay confused when I go down there, but it's all good! We spend most of our time the last five years over at Hooked on Panama Lodge at Limones. They take care of us!! Thanks again..

Boquete, Panama
Level Contributor
7 posts
114 reviews
5. Re: Car Rental at David Airport

I did not find that to be. We rented from National after talking to every other rental counter there in David. NONE would accept the CDW from our credit card even though we produced the contract that indicated a rental car was covered. No one cared. Pay the insurance or give them a very big deposit ( $5000) or don't rent the car. Once we got to Boquete, we learned that we could rent a car there and not get screwed for extra insurance. However the rates would be higher. I suppose that increase covers the insurance charge regardless. The online rates are very enticing. We also saw the $9/day rate. We knew there was a catch somewhere.

Reply to: Car Rental at David Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about David