We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car in David

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
3 posts
42 reviews
Renting a car in David

Hello, We are preparing for our trip to Miramar (6 in total). It looks like the most cost effective way to travel is to fly into PC, bus to David and rent a car. We have been warned about the perils of renting from local car rental companies and are a bit intimidated by the various insurance options. Any suggestions on the benefits/liabilities of renting from local companies and insurance options would be greatly appreciated.

8 replies to this topic
tofino
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
1. Re: Renting a car in David

Ya I have same question as you, gonna fly into David from PC and then rent car. Heard about issues with insurance being pricey

Birmingham, Alabama
1 post
1 review
2. Re: Renting a car in David

Last time we were in David we rented our car at the airport. We were able to take care of everything online prior to arrival and had no problems whatsoever.

3. Re: Renting a car in David

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2017, 19:00

Ancaster, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Renting a car in David

Does anyone have a recommendation for where to rent a car in David? Which company?

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,895 posts
24 reviews
5. Re: Renting a car in David

You can rent a car at the airport. Avis, Payless, Thrifty, Dollar and Alamo. Keep in mind the online quote is not the price you will pay. There is a mandatory $18.50 per day liability insurance charge plus taxes and fees.

Ancaster, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Renting a car in David

Thanks, have you used any of these companies? I was also looking at Hertz - any recommendations for which company to deal with?

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,895 posts
24 reviews
7. Re: Renting a car in David

I believe I used Thrifty or Dollar and had no issues. I don't think any one is either better or worse than the others in David. At least, I haven't read any complaints.

With any car rental company in Panama, when you pick up the car, make sure you inspect the car right along with the inspector. Look very carefully and make sure the inspector marks the form for any and all nicks, dings and scratches. Especially check the windshield and the under the front bumper. Even if it might be road tar or dirt, make sure it gets marked.

Some rental agencies run a scam of not marking scratches under the front bumper (most people don't like to bend over that far to check) or chips in the windshield. Then, when the car is returned and re-inspected, you get charged for the "damage." Of course, the damage is never repaired ... just billed to the next renter. Be aware and beware.

Regina
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
8. Re: Renting a car in David

Are the car rental counters inside the David terminal or are the a walkable distance from the terminal with some luggage?

Reply to: Renting a car in David
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about David