We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salalah - A feedback

Which Salalah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
7,048 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Salalah - A feedback

Finally I realised my wish of visiting Salalah! We were there for 3 days last week end and had a great time. I can easily say this is the best place in the Middle East I have seen, guess more so because of the nice rains. The drive through the mountains and springs ('Ayn' in local parlance) could have been through a South American rain forest! The place is so amazing with fantastic long beaches and mountains. I strongly recommend this place to anyone who has a chance to visit Oman, particularly during the monsoon (Khareef). We saw several interesting places like Mughsail, Wadi Darbat, Mirbat, a few of the 'Ayn's. the museum, local frankincense souk, etc. Crown Plaza was a good place to stay. The Guest Relations lady staff was very helpful in guiding us to various interesting spots.

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salalah - A feedback

Vasu, so glad to hear that you had such a great time. We've just moved to Muscat and a visit to Salalah during the Khareef is on our 'must do' list. Unfortunately this will have to wait until next year but, in shÁllah, we'll have been able to put a good plan together by then.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
7,048 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salalah - A feedback

Yes you should do it. Likewise, I hope I get another chance to visit there, this time a longer stay for sure!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,859 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salalah - A feedback

That's also on my list of things to do while I'm living here! I visited Salalah during the Christmas weekend and enjoyed it then, but the khareef season sounds wonderful. Did you drive yourselves around, or hire a guide?

Edited: 23 August 2012, 09:14
Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat Governorate, Oman
Level Contributor
658 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salalah - A feedback

I am glad that you had good time in Salalah. I have not been to the Khareef for more than 10 years, but I do have good memories of it.

As a side issue, Ayn is the arabic word for Spring and Eye, plural is Oyoon. Usually, the word is attached to the arabic word for water to distinguish water spring from eye. Therefore, the correct term is Ayn Ma'a (water spring), plural Oyoon Ma'a.

5. Re: Salalah - A feedback

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 August 2012, 23:05
Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
7,048 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salalah - A feedback

Interesting info on 'Ayn', thanks for that. Yes we rented a car and I drove myself, this is the best way to see Salalah's beauty.

Abu Dhabi
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Salalah - A feedback

Hi Vasu,

Thanks for the feedback, we are planning for a salalah trip this coming weekend for a week. I haven't been there before and don't know how to schedule my trip. Since you have been there recently could you suggest me list of places and schedule?

Also I am planning to take the Al Ain -Mundafinah-Ibri-Salalah, I am not planning to take Sohar-Buraimi route. Any idea about this route?

thanks in advance

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
7,048 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Salalah - A feedback

Jebel Hafeet Border/Mezyad/Ibri and a road linking the main road towards Thumrait and Salalah seems to be the shortest. You can bypass Nizwa, Adam etc. Check the maps. I have not done the drive, though planned but dropped due to lack of proper company. The road is tricky I am told, and accident-prone. So take care, and better to have 2 or 3 drivers share the load. It is like 1200 Km one way for you.

All spots in Salalah are very nice, but weather can play a part. We went to Mughsail beach one day, but could not see much due to heavy mist/fog/cloud right on the road (the area is among hills), visibility very poor. We wanted to driver further up the road to Fazaya and Dalkhut but dropped the idea due to bad visibility.

Next day we drove up to Wadi Darbat, a fantastic place. If you are lucky you will get to see the falls. You can also go down to a little spring and creek for some boating. Then Khor Rouri, a very interesting archeological place which you should see before you drive on to Mirbat. While on the way back from Mirbat we checked out the 'anti-gravity' spot too.

We visited the museum pretty close to Crown Plaza, interesting coconut and banana street shops on the way among the farms. Must say this place is quite unusual and difficult to believe this is in the Middle East.

The local souk for frankincense and other stuff is interesting too. The souk areas are very narrow and crowded and guaranteed traffic jams. To be expected in a small town, I guess.

Give yourself 3 days in Salalah & around, if you can. Then you need a day each for driving up and back. Again, take care while driving - the road can be very tricky.

9. Re: Salalah - A feedback

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Salalah