We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
44 reviews
Mosquitoes

Hi. Can anyone tell me what the mosquitoes are like in October? I always get bitten so use repellent at night. Many thanks.

8 replies to this topic
Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
6,461 posts
60 reviews
1. Re: Mosquitoes

You can get mosquitoes all year round so use a good repellent to be on the safe side. Also try to cover up with light weight long sleeved tops and trousers when sitting out after dark. Hotels used to fog their grounds but I've heard that this isn't the case at the moment as too many "good" bugs where being killed. We were last there in September last year and I got one or two bites - usually I'm prone to plenty of bites at home so I got off lightly.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: Mosquitoes

Thank you , I definitely will cover up and use repellent.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
23,725 posts
2,353 reviews
3. Re: Mosquitoes

I have been in different parts of the year and always encounter mosquitoes. Mozzies do not seem to have a low season so take a good deet based repellent.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: Mosquitoes

Thanks... I most certainly will use the deet repellent!

UK
Level Contributor
102 posts
60 reviews
5. Re: Mosquitoes

Me and Hubbie got bitten a lot at nighttime so would take strong repellent. Luckily they were not the itchy mosquito type bites you can get in other countries

Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
25 posts
6. Re: Mosquitoes

I prefer mosquito net for sleeping though as I want to avoid chemicals as much as possible. I am pretty much sure that you are talking about getting bitten during sleep!

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
6,461 posts
60 reviews
7. Re: Mosquitoes

Not only when sleeping, Mitto26. I've found that once the sun goes down the mosquitoes come out so sitting outside in the evening I really need to use something to stop them biting me. I tend to opt for light weight long pants and long sleeves whenever possible, too.

Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
25 posts
8. Re: Mosquitoes

I would also do this. You are perfectly right!

Reply to: Mosquitoes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted