We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Room comparison - Sugar Beach and La Pirogue

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Room comparison - Sugar Beach and La Pirogue

Hello,

As for my previous post, we are fairly convinced we would like to stay at one of these for our honeymoon! https:/…91529392

I understand that they are sister hotels so we can use the facilities of both. I know that La Pirogue is generally the better thought of and has a higher ranking here on TA. I agree that the location/beach/ambience seems better.

The main thing I am unsure about with La Pirogue is the room itself, particularly the bathroom. I do like the hut vibe but if I am totally honest I am not sure if the rooms look that luxurious? Can anyone explain to me what the difference is between Premium Garden Room and Beach Pavilion - is it just location or more than that? @bronia, thanks, I have read your latest two reviews of La Pirogue (Oct and May 2017) - was that a beach room or garden room you stayed in last time? And the visit before that? Both the rooms from your last 2 visits look lovely and I think I would be quite happy with them, but I don't know if it was a premium room or not!

And in regards to Sugar Beach, are the room photos of Garden Manor House on their website a good indication? I've read they are actually a bit dated so wondering if this photo is misleading! https:/…garden-manor-house

Really just wondering if anyone would recommend a particular room type for our honeymoon! Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
46,659 posts
132 reviews
1. Re: Room comparison - Sugar Beach and La Pirogue

Sarah Premium Garden rooms are right at the north end of the resort so quieter and more private.

The one we stayed at in May 2017 was an ordinary garden view room at the south end which is closest to Sugar Beach as these were the first to be renovated. Personally I prefer the north end where we stayed before as it's less busy and quieter. The south wings see a lot of people going back and forth between SB and LP.

The October 2017 review was a beach front room looking out over the ocean.

Bathrooms are quite light and airy and have the best lighting of any hotel I've stayed at in Mauritius. What you dont see in photos is the high thatched roof which lets in light.

I love the high thatched roof in the room too - it gives the room a feeling of spaciousness you dont get with ordinary ceilinged rooms.

LP is 4* and classed as Bohemian and SB 5*.

Yes that is what the SB rooms are like.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Room comparison - Sugar Beach and La Pirogue

HI bronia,

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice and we are going to book La Pirogue!

One more question - the long pants dress code for men is only for dinner, right?! Not breakfast and lunch? I did email the hotel to ask but they didn't really answer the question directly.

Thanks

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
46,659 posts
132 reviews
3. Re: Room comparison - Sugar Beach and La Pirogue

Yes it's only for dinner and they do enforce it.

No problem with lunch or breakfast :-)

I'm sure you will love La Pirogue just as we do!

Reply to: Room comparison - Sugar Beach and La Pirogue
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted