We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping for groceries in Flic en Flac

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Shopping for groceries in Flic en Flac

We are stayin in a private villa in flic en flac and would like to do some cooking. The local Spar supermarket was a disappointment especially their fresh produce.

What are the good places in the area to get fresh fruits/weggies/meat/fish?

4 replies to this topic
Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
6,469 posts
60 reviews
1. Re: Shopping for groceries in Flic en Flac

The other option is Monoprix at Cascavelle Shopping Village.

www.cascavelleshoppingvillage.com/shops.html

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
46,661 posts
132 reviews
2. Re: Shopping for groceries in Flic en Flac

If you have a car there's a Shoprite down towards Black River in the small mall just before Tamarin on the right hand side and a Foodlovers a little further down on the left hand side in a strip mall of shops.

Some veggies have been hard to get this year following the flooding January to March especially tomatoes.

Tomatoes were hard to source even in Grand Baie this February and March.

It should be OK now though.

Meat is hit and miss IMO. Foodlovers used to do some decent steak but not so much these days.

Edited: 11 April 2018, 09:59
Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Shopping for groceries in Flic en Flac

Thanks very much for the replies!

Interesting about the floods and tomatoes. Was very much looking for cooking something from fresh delicious tropical tomatoes and to my surprise there weren't any for sale in Spar.

I was surprised to find no street vendor of fruits/veg. Saw some in the town next to airport and was hoping to find some here too.

What about fresh fish? Or buying a whole (not frozen) chicken or a decent piece of pork?

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
46,661 posts
132 reviews
4. Re: Shopping for groceries in Flic en Flac

Foodlovers sells fresh meat though the one at Black River is smaller than the one we go to at Grand Baie La Croisette.

Monoprix has a meat counter too.

A search for butchers at Flic en Flac and Black RIver brought these up. I dont know it so cant recommend though. A huge South African expat community live there so should get some decent meat. SA sourced meat is better than the Australian.

restaurants.mu/search/…

http://cedyla-meat-shop.restaurant.mu/

Yes, local tomatoes when we could get them were outrageously priced and not that nice. We usually have the cherry Spanish imports but even they were scarce some weeks,

Also try Quatre Bornes market which has fruit and veg Wednesday and Saturdays I think.

Reply to: Shopping for groceries in Flic en Flac
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted