We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuredu Island Resort vs Velassaro

Which Baa Atoll hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
107 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Kuredu Island Resort vs Velassaro

Hi!

I'm planning our honeymoon to the Maldives. I've recieved two pretty good offers for both Velassaro and Kuredu. Great offers still don't make this cheap, and before spending a lot of money I want to do my homework.. Any thoughts from anyone out there on which of these islands we should choose? (Which one will give the most intimate, Robinson Crusoe-feeling?) We just want a great place for relaxing, diving and snorkeling.

Thanks for any feedback!

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kuredu Island Resort vs Velassaro

Hello Lachde

While Velasssaru is a very good quality island it is close to Male and will not deliver the Robinson Crusoe feeling you desire (I think previous comments about the 'rubbish island' can now be dispelled as it no longer affects Velassaru).

Kuredu likewise will not deliver Robinson feelings as there will be just too many other people around.

Can we ask your budget and month of travel and maybe the forum can make some other suggestions?

Thanks

Richard from PurelyMaldives

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,116 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kuredu Island Resort vs Velassaro

like richard says .. for robinson feeling you definitely want "neither of these two"

besides the items richard mentioned ....none of the above also has any good snorkeling available. kuredu is pretty unabashedly mass market while velassaru attempts to give itself an air of "exclusiveity" ... neither is very special in my humble opinion. definitely not honeymoon material.

as suggested by Richard... we are happy to toss out some names for you to investigate , if you would share some more details .. budget/traveltime/desired accomodation/level of board/priorities

London
Level Contributor
1,789 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kuredu Island Resort vs Velassaro

Yours is the second post where someone has been quoted a price for Velassaru in a similar price range to a 4 star (Kuredu). If you can get Velassaru for the price of Kuredu (assuming they are both good prices), then I would jump at it. I am assuming that Velassaru is getting more aggressive in its pricing. Most of the Universal Resorts are some of the best value resorts in the Maldives (Kuramathi, Kurumba), and now maybe Velassaru is positioning itself similarly. Velassaru is a very polished and stylish resort. Some people don't like the high-fallutin' fancy-ness, but I find it elegant and striking. It also has a high intensity of flowering plants (more so than more resorts) which gives it a colourful romantic ambience.

As Spammie and Richard mentioned, there is not a lot of great snorkeling straight off the beach (ie. house reef), but there are plenty of wonderful snorkeling excursions. Yes, you can see Male, but that didn't put us off when we stayed there (it was the first island we ever visited in the Maldives). It definitely is the most 'intimate and Robinson Crusoe' of the two.

Bruce

www.maldivescomplete.com

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
107 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kuredu Island Resort vs Velassaro

Hi,

Sorry I haven't replied to these helpful posts. Simply forgot when I recieved a few other great offers for other islands:-)

But thank you for taking the time to reply!

Harrow, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Kuredu Island Resort vs Velassaro

As much as these forums have enlightened me about resorts in maldives they have confused me! its for sure that Kuredu is big with plenty of activities, good diving and snorkeling and a lot more. we dont mind little high density of tourists as one of the posters said for kuredu as we are not going on honeymoon. And i am sure it wont be overcrowded! As long as we have our space while relaxing or exploring and have scope to enjoy our time we are ok. Its true that it is just about eliminating islands and resorts which do not have what you want. and Kuredu seems to fit the bill for us. (budget too) It has some great offers with couple of agents. Southall travels seems to have good all inclusive deal and we are deciding to pay tomorrow. Thank you guys.

Edited: 03 August 2012, 16:29
Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,116 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kuredu Island Resort vs Velassaro

satin ... sorry but please read up. it is most definitely NOT for sure that kuredu has any kind of good snorkeling. (and the jury is out on the diving .. my opinion is that kuredu's divesites are below par for the maldives while bruce enjoys them greatly) . what we all agree on is that the snorkeling is disappointing at best. whatever reef there is is far out and hard to reach .. only strong swimmers should attempt the treck out and it really isn't worth the trouble.

some people really enjoy kuredu .. i am not trying to talk you out of the island at all .. just don't go expecting snorkel adventures off the beach.

as far as the all inclusive deal .. you might also look into that. basic all inclusive at kuredu has huge holes in it and you might have to upgrade to more inclusive all inclusive

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,896 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kuredu Island Resort vs Velassaro

Richard- I am still wondering what you meant in (1) about thilafushi no longer affecting Velassaru??

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
966 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kuredu Island Resort vs Velassaro

Velassaru was my first Maldivian adventure and we loved it, but the snorkelling in comparison to more recent, heavily research trips, was poor but fab vs other holiday destinations.

We found the resort lovely, great service (even adding my husband's sugar to his coffee every morning!), room was stunning and a short speedboat transfer welcome after a hectic week in Sri Lanka!

Not been to Kuredu but it is one of the largest Maldive islands and not renowned for its Robinson Crusoe vibe!

Do let the forum know your budget, timings etc using the FAQ and someone will definitely help further.

9. Re: Kuredu Island Resort vs Velassaro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2013, 10:15