We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vila vs Angaga - Split stay?

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Vila vs Angaga - Split stay?

Hi

My OH and I went to Kandolhu in May 15 and caught the Maldives bug. We are planning to go back in March 17 (with slightly less luxury) with our PADI course and hopefully see whale sharks/manta rays if lucky. From advice of this forum, we have decided to base ourselves in S Ari atoll.

We are planning a 14 night stay all inclusive. Our priorities are diving and house reef (prefer fish than coral). We have had some quotes and it is between Vilamendhoo (standard beach villa) and Angaga due to budget. We are contemplating splitting the stay between the two - or is one much better than the other? Would you recommend split stays?

Thanks in advance!

2betravel

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,744 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: Vila vs Angaga - Split stay?

Some of our regular posters don't like moving islands due to the time lost packing and transferring. However I think your idea sounds great.

Vilamendhoo is a medium size island with a modern maldives feel, 2 pools and some entertainment.

Angaga is much smaller and more beutiful. The accommodation although basic has recently been refurbished to a high standard. No pools on Angaga and no TV unless you are in a WV.

I have been to both and prefer Angaga but like them both. I think a split stay between them would be a great combination.

Both have great house reefs and excellent dive center with access to whale sharks.

Check out my reviews of both Angaga and Vilamendhoo 😎

Darryl

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Vila vs Angaga - Split stay?

Great- thanks for your help! Will check out your reviews! Glad to hear both were nice - shame the pound had to dip so much before we booked!

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
789 posts
19 reviews
3. Re: Vila vs Angaga - Split stay?

We had a TV in our beach villa on both visits to Angaga, although they may have removed them now as it was 18mths since we were there last. Stunning island though, best dive centre I have experienced on a dive holiday. We're heading for Vilamendhoo this year to experience something different but I think a split stay between the two sounds like a great idea - may be expensive to get from one to the other though without having to fly back to Male.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,744 posts
27 reviews
4. Re: Vila vs Angaga - Split stay?

Sorry... Angaga accommodation doe's have TV's in its standard rooms, I was thinking of Embudu for some reason 😀

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
726 posts
52 reviews
5. Re: Vila vs Angaga - Split stay?

We're doing a split stay holiday with Angaga and Conrad Rangali (using HHonours points).

We're staying 7 nights at Angaga and then saving the 7 nights in the higher rated accomodation to last.

I would be tempted to also do 7/7 split with you holiday.

Have you managed to get inter-island transfers? Or are they too far away from each other?

We're saving quite a bit getting Angaga to take us to Conrad, plus it ovoids losing any time of our holiday

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Vila vs Angaga - Split stay?

Thanks for the clarification about TVs- although really don't mind as never turn it on as in the Maldives!

Just waiting for quotes on the transfer so hoping reasonable- it would be for a boat transfer as certainly don't want to waste time going back to Male!

Thanks for all the advice - planning on hopefully doing Vilamendhoo first as then can enjoy the quiet on the second week!

London, United...
Level Contributor
456 posts
42 reviews
7. Re: Vila vs Angaga - Split stay?

If it helps, We did a split stay with mirihi and lily beach which I think is just slightly longer in distance than your choices. Cost was roughly £180pp for the speedboat and the whole speedboat and check in to a new resort was about an hour, if I remember correctly! Purely Maldives organised the whole thing and were brilliant.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
726 posts
52 reviews
8. Re: Vila vs Angaga - Split stay?

Get a quote from both islands, as Angaga's quote to take us was MUCH cheaper than Conrad's quote to collect us. Angaga also offered a very cheap 'slow boat' taking 45 mins, or a slightly more expensive speeadboat taking 15 mins. We've gone for the scenic slowboat - providing sea conditions are good on the day - which they should in dry season :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Vila vs Angaga - Split stay?

Good tip- thanks! Have a quote and it is actually quite reasonable for the transfer. Just struggling now whether the 14 nights is affordable! Why does the Maldives have to be so expensive?! It may be that we have to revise our plans to 10 nights and choose one unless the pound makes a miraculous recovery!

Thanks for all the help!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
10. Re: Vila vs Angaga - Split stay?

If budget is a concern, pick one. I wouldn't be keen to split my stay In the first place , although some do and certainly not if it caused budget issues, somethings the more time you spend on one island, the lower the per night rate is.

And in reality it's never an hour all in, you've got to pack get your bags collected, pay the bill, get the boat, check in, unpack, blah blah blah, which is a bit of a pain really.

Get answers to your questions about Southern Ari Atoll