We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Domestic Flight + Speedboat vs. Seaplane

Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Domestic Flight + Speedboat vs. Seaplane

Many resorts are now offering domestic flight + speedboat as a lower cost alternative to seaplanes. I am looking for advice to weigh the pros & cons of each. In my case, I am staying at LUX in the Southern Ari Atoll, the resort is offering to arrange either, I am arriving in MLE early in the day, and the cost savings is 254$ for 2 persons*.

*Domestic+Speedboat = 353 per person; Seaplane direct = 480 per person (for LUX resort).

Your input is appreciated. Examples include: typical domestic layover duration, overall comfort of flight, whether or not your Seaplane stopped at other islands along the way, and subjective value of the seaplane 'novelty' factor. If you had the option of either at time of booking, which would you choose.

Shoreham-by-Sea...
Level Contributor
554 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Domestic Flight + Speedboat vs. Seaplane

Last year when we went to Reethi, we took the seaplane there as it was our first time in the Maldives and it was an amazing experience so I would recommend its a must for first timers. But it was very noisy and the waiting time was quite long. We returned to Male via speedboat/domestic flight which was much more comfortable although getting up at stupid o'clock to catch the speedboat wasnt so good. But because the domestic flights are scheduled and they fly day and night, you know beforehand of your depature time. Next year we are doing domestic flight for both journeys to keep in budget

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,583 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Domestic Flight + Speedboat vs. Seaplane

We've visited Reethi Beach three times. On our first two visits we took the seaplane both ways. I love it and as Scotty said it simply has to be experienced at least once. Flying at that height above the atolls gives the most incredible first taste of the colours of the Maldives and the perfect jewels of islands from above.

On our third visit at the beginning of June we opted for seaplane out and speedboat/domestic transfer back due to the scheduling of our flights. We waited 2 hours for our seaplane and received a free sandwich and drink from the seaplane company at the departure lounge. On our second and third visits we stopped to drop off/collect passengers from Coco Palm which is 10 minutes from Reethi. I love the seaplane take offs and landings, so have no problem with this, and it's quite nice to get a look at another resort.

Our departure from Reethi by speedboat this year was a bumpy 20 minute or so ride to Dharavandhu for our domestic flight. We left the island at 18.30 (Reethi is an hour ahead of Dharavandhoo and Male) and had a two and a half hour wait. This felt like a long time when the flight itself if only 20 minutes. It's just a short stroll from the domestic terminal to the international terminal on arrival at MLE and the transition was quick and easy.

To be honest I'd take the seaplane every time. The speedboat, waiting for the domestic flight and flight itself for me just seemed to add more steps into the long process of getting home, and the cost saving for us wasn't huge. We chose this option as our departure from MLE was at 10.40pm and to be fair we did gain a few hours at Reethi as the last seaplane would have departed by around 3.30pm, perhaps earlier as the schedules are beyond your control.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,792 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Domestic Flight + Speedboat vs. Seaplane

Hi

The domestic flight + boat will involve more travel time because you will fly to the nearest domestic airport not directly to the island.

The sea plane feels more like an excursion than a transfer,it really is enjoyable.

Pro's for domestic flight + boat are price and no 20kg weigh limit.

Pro's for sea plane transfer are the experience,the excitement,the views and the photo opportunities.

If it's within your budget go for the sea plane😎

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,582 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Domestic Flight + Speedboat vs. Seaplane

seaplane any time . its not even close to the same experience. when you get on the seaplane , its like your travel has ended and you have ARRIVED! you'll have a goofy smile pasted on your face all the way . the domestic flight is just more travel time and exhausting

Edited: 29 June 2016, 19:18
norfolk
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Domestic Flight + Speedboat vs. Seaplane

I have had three Maldives holidays with seaplane transfers, one speedboat.

Will be honest do not get why people get so hyped up about the seaplane, I really enjoyed the speed boat!

Am looking forward to next Easter to Oblu, speedboat transfer!

Bonus with speedboat less probs with luggage weight too!

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,582 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Domestic Flight + Speedboat vs. Seaplane

Diana, the only options for the OP are domestic flight and seaplane ... speedboat only isn't a possibility to LUX

norfolk
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Domestic Flight + Speedboat vs. Seaplane

Spammie totally appreciate what you are saying, sorry if gone slightly off topic but do love a boat trip, prob coz my husband being a diver for many, many, years with his own boat, lots of boat trip experiences!!

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,582 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Domestic Flight + Speedboat vs. Seaplane

I hear you .. speed boat transfer can be awesome if feasible . I am weird enough that I even have fun on rough seas and storm but I don't think most people enjoy that . lol on the other hand .. the seaplane ... that's just imprinted in my brain as taking me to my happy place :)

norfolk
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Domestic Flight + Speedboat vs. Seaplane

Don't get me wrong, first time was in awe of the sea plane but I then after a couple of times, think got a bit blasé lol!

I do not have any probs with rough sea, but u are sure correct, lot of people not keen lol!

Think I just love boats and the sea⛵️🛥🚤⛴🛳lol!

Edited: 29 June 2016, 21:08
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,920 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Domestic Flight + Speedboat vs. Seaplane

Personally I think its about convenience. If your flight arrives or leaves late a Domestic Flight might be better as you won't have hours to spend at the airport. If you arrive and leave in daylight hours the most direct i.e. seaplane is probably the best.

We personally have always been lucky with seaplane transfers and never had to wait much more than an hour.

But we met some people this year who waited 3 hours and my son a couple of years ago waited 4 hours.

We have done a couple of domestic flights and one time we had 2.5 hours wait.

I just want to get to the resort as quickly as possible. Having said that if you are a family of 4 and can save $500 that can buy quite a few cocktails.

Get answers to your questions about Southern Ari Atoll