We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Southern Ari Resort with Great House Reef plus...

marina del rey, ca
Level Contributor
25 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Best Southern Ari Resort with Great House Reef plus...

After many hours of research, I've narrowed my search down to the sourthern ari area. I'd like a resort with a great house reef, plus wonderful excursions and a superb resort environment (i.e. service and food). I've narrowed my choices down to Mihiri, Diamonds Athuruga and Vilamendhoo. I would appreciate any input on which is best. I would note that Vilamendhoo is the only one of the three with motorized water sports which is a plus to me. Also, I have looked at Lux South Ari and Cantara Grand, but my research seems to indicate they don't have great house reefs. If this is not correct, I'd also appreciate a heads up on this and input on these two as well. Thank you for any input you can give.

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,605 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Southern Ari Resort with Great House Reef plus...

My vote goes to Mirihi.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Southern Ari Resort with Great House Reef plus...

Never seen any motorised water sports at Vila (not to say it isn't available of course, but if it is, it's well hidden/not widely used). Luckily - it would put me off!

I'm a big Vila fan - it has everything I want - but there are more top end resorts if that's your priority.

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Southern Ari Resort with Great House Reef plus...

Lily beach is amazing, 4 days to go

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,550 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Southern Ari Resort with Great House Reef plus...

From your list if it was my choice it would be

Athuruga

Mirihi

Vilamendhoo

But out of the 3 I have only been to Vilamendhoo and it was a very nice island..

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
15,292 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Southern Ari Resort with Great House Reef plus...

my choice would be mirihi .. then a lot of nothing .... then athuruga . vila is not in the same league .

centara grand does have a decent house reef with a good wreck dive site but you couldn't pay me to stay on the island

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Southern Ari Resort with Great House Reef plus...

Of the islands mentioned I've been to Mirihi, Athuruga and Vila. My first choice would be Mirihi. That's the only one I'd really consider returning to.

marina del rey, ca
Level Contributor
25 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Southern Ari Resort with Great House Reef plus...

thank you everyone for your input. it is very helpful. it confirms my thoughts that of the three I listed, Mirihi is the premier option. but I have one other option i'd like to ask about. I found Komondoo Maldives island resort in Lhaviyani Atoll. Does anyone have an opinion about a choice between Mirihi and Komondoo? thanks again for your input!

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,605 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Southern Ari Resort with Great House Reef plus...

I've been to both a few times. They are both excellent but Mirihi commands a higher price probably due to being more exclusive with only 37 rooms. Komandoo is adults only. Komandoo has TVs in the rooms and jacuzzi rooms have baths. All rooms are detached. Rooms on Mirihi have no TV and no bath and are semi detached - WVs and BVs cost the same. Komandoo has a local island close to the sunset side. Both are a seaplane transfer but are located in different atolls (Mirihi is in the South Ari atoll close to the whale shark channel). Both are great for snorkelling from the beach and have excellent service and food. If I didn't have Mirihi in my budget I would go for Komandoo, which often gives great value for money. Check out my photo album link via my profile.

Edited: 08 June 2016, 05:29
Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Southern Ari Resort with Great House Reef plus...

From the ones on your list we have been to Mirihi. The reef is so exceptional we do not know where to go next. We are looking for a comparable resort in South Ari right now, as small and exclusive as Mirihi and with a fantastic reef, but unfortunately nothing measures up.... The only other place that had the same quality reef was Kandholhu, in the North Ari.

marina del rey, ca
Level Contributor
25 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Southern Ari Resort with Great House Reef plus...

Hi Lynphd. A bit of a delayed response here, but I've been in Brazil for two weeks. I was wondering what you meant when you said " Rooms on Mirihi have ... no bath and are semi detached>" Do you mean "bathtub"? and what are you referring to when you say "semi-detached"? thanks for any further explanation you can give.

Get answers to your questions about Southern Ari Atoll