My husband and I (in our 50s) are arriving in Osaka very early in the morning on a week day in mid Jan. We have a total of 10 full days. We would like to explore the Kii Peninsula. We read that driving in the countryside in Japan is doable and so we are taking a chance.
We would be pleased if we can get some response, suggestions or advice to the following:
1) Upon arrival, where should we base ourselves? Should we start in Wakayama or further most on the East coast or somewhere else?
2) We plan to rent a car from our base as we would like to return it there before going to Osaka for our last 1 to 2 nights. (We have been to Osaka previously, so it is not a must for this trip.) But the car drop off location has to taken into consideration in the event we go to Osaka.
3) If time permits, we would like to go to Tokushima. Which transportation would be best? Should we return the car and take other transportation to Tokushima?
4) Please suggest the best routes and itinerary that enable us to see more scenic spots.
5) Which are the places we should stay for the night?
6) Which are the must DOs, VISITs, EATs and BUYs in each place?
Appreciate any other suggestions please.