We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haneda Airport to Yoyogi station Friday afternoon rush hour

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
237 posts
22 reviews
Haneda Airport to Yoyogi station Friday afternoon rush hour

We are 4 travelling with 3 pieces of chek-in luggage. Will land at Haneda airport at around 16:00. We wonder whether taking the trains with minimum one exchange is the best option travelling to Yoyogi station. There seems to be no direct bus going from Haneda to Yoyogi station.

Any advice please ?

11 replies to this topic
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
28,871 posts
69 reviews
1. Re: Haneda Airport to Yoyogi station Friday afternoon rush hour

Bus to Shinjuku and a short taxi ride. You'll need two taxis, but Shinjuku to Yoyogi is only ~600yen.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
237 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Haneda Airport to Yoyogi station Friday afternoon rush hour

Thanks for the info.

Can you please advise whether the change of trains is on the same platform or level and whether it is easy disregard the fact that it may be very crowded during rush hour ?

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,871 posts
69 reviews
3. Re: Haneda Airport to Yoyogi station Friday afternoon rush hour

Do you mean Keikyu Line to Yamanote? If so, they are operated by two different companies, you’ll have to exit Keikyu station, buy another ticket, go into JR station and walk to the Yamanote platform. Keikyu to Yamanote platform is a long walk. If you’re not on a tight budget, follow the directions in #1.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
237 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Haneda Airport to Yoyogi station Friday afternoon rush hour

Based on the subway map, there are two points which one can change to the JR Yamanote line. one is at Shinagawa and the other is at Hamamatsucho. Are changes at both stations inconvenient as you have kindly pointed out ?

We don't have tight budget. I just mind having to take two taxis after arrival at Shinjuku. How far is the bus station for walking to the taxi stands ?

Also, do I need to buy the bus tickets in advance ?

Thank you very much for your help.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
62,281 posts
171 reviews
5. Re: Haneda Airport to Yoyogi station Friday afternoon rush hour

The transfer at Shinagawa isn't that difficult or long. It's been years since I have used this combination, but there is a YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j5uNnx5hT0

If you are able to hop onto Yamanote Line at 5pm, it will be crowded but not impossibly packed. Make sure your bags don't block the train exits.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
237 posts
22 reviews
6. Re: Haneda Airport to Yoyogi station Friday afternoon rush hour

Hi Sammy, thank you for the youtube. It seems that there are only two escalaters and quite direct exchange. our plane arrives at 15:30 and if no delay in whatsoever, I guess we should be able to get on before 5 pm.

Can I buy the pasmo or suica card as soon as I arrive at Haneda airport and use this card to travel on Keikyu and JR Yamanote.

Thank you so much.

Level Contributor
486 posts
7. Re: Haneda Airport to Yoyogi station Friday afternoon rush hour

Transfer at Shinagawa involves 3 escalators/stairs. The video above ends at halfway to the yamanote-line platform.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/E/stations/e788.html

Transfer at Hamamatsucho is bit easier and simpler.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/E/stations/e1248.html

There are lifts at both station. Pasmo/Suica makes transfer easier for both routes as you can go through the dedicate transfer gates with the card.

I recommend the bus too, though.

Edited: 22 March 2018, 07:20
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
237 posts
22 reviews
8. Re: Haneda Airport to Yoyogi station Friday afternoon rush hour

I found this youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EDXXPo6PX0

it seems that taking the monorail and change at Hamamatsucho for the JR Yamanote line has electric escalators all the way, though not a short distance. I bet that getting on may be slightly easier for heading to Shinagawa during rush hour.

The solution of bus is that we still have to change to taxis.

Thank you very much to you all for your kind help :-))

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
62,281 posts
171 reviews
9. Re: Haneda Airport to Yoyogi station Friday afternoon rush hour

Don't use the monorail. Go with Keikyu to JR Yamanote at Shinagawa. It's much easier than you think.

Arriving at 15:30, assuming normal, average timing, you might be able to board the train by 16:15.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,871 posts
69 reviews
10. Re: Haneda Airport to Yoyogi station Friday afternoon rush hour

If you insist on train all the way (no taxi) go with Keikyu and Yamanote. It's easier than monorail + Yamanote. Another option is Keikyu to Daimon and Oedo Line to Shinjuku. This might be the easiest way transfer wise.

Reply to: Haneda Airport to Yoyogi station Friday afternoon rush hour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted