We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for Hokkaido 10 days mid-end Jul

singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Itinerary for Hokkaido 10 days mid-end Jul

Hi guys

i'm trying very hard to read through all the places that are interesting but i cannot decide! Hokkaido looks so amazing that i want to visit everywhere.

However, time and budget constrains and i'm left with approximately 10 days. So i've narrowed down to these few MUST GO places. Hopefully can push in some interesting places.

This plan is very very rough as i still have no good clue how to plan my itinerary. (somehow i could get around Tokyo without much trouble)

I plan on driving in the western areas anyway, here goes!

1st day - Arrive at Sapporo. Transit to Memanbetsu to visit Shiretoko park.

2nd day - Go towards Akan national park and Kushiro marshlands

3rd day - Take the JR towards Asahikawa. Spend a day at Daisetsuzan National Park (maybe stay in an onsen resort over there)

4th day - drive towards Furano and Biei. Visit the flower fields of Furano and drive by Biei.

5th day - Train/ drive towards Noboribetsu and spend a day there

6th day - Drive to Shikotsu-Toya National Park

7th day - Drive to Otaru and then train to Sapporo over the night

8th day - Spend the day at Sapporo

seems like i still have 2 days left but i guess the itinerary i've put up isn't exactly accurate.

Appreciate any comments!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,691 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for Hokkaido 10 days mid-end Jul

The first 3 days on your preliminary plan seem pretty rush. Shiretoko Peninsula deserves more than barely a day. Akan and Kushiro Marshlands need more time especially if you rely only on public transport. On day 3 you won’t have much time for the Daisetsuzan National Park as the train journey from Kushiro to Asahikawa would take up to almost 6 hrs with a transfer in Sapporo. And on top you need to take a connecting bus from Asahikawa to either Sounkyo or Asahidake.

Slightly confuse about your self-drive route. Are you renting a car in Asahikawa for Biei and Furano!? What do you mean by “train/drive towards Noboribetsu”!? Do you intend to use a car in Biei and Furano, travel by train to Noboribetsu and rent again in Noboribetsu and return the car in Otaru!?

singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for Hokkaido 10 days mid-end Jul

Thanks William

i'm planning to drive from Shiretoko to Akan and Kushiro. After that, if possible, i'll take a sleeper train or night train (not sure if it's available) to Asahikawa.

I'll then rent a car drive inside Daisetsuzan, towards Biei and Furano.

for the last leg, i'm not too sure if it's more economical to drive straight to Noboribetsu and ultimately Otaru or it's better to take the train to Noboribetsu.

Really not too sure how the transportation will pan out yet.

Appreciate the comments!

btw, any other places to recommend along the way? and since i'm planning for 10 days, i think we still have some time to cater for transportation.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,691 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for Hokkaido 10 days mid-end Jul

10 days is not a lot of time for Hokkaido as the island is big and distance is great. There is no overnight train between Kushiro and Asahikawa. And rather than relying on infrequent train + bus connection, doing it solely on a rental car may not be a bad idea. Renting from Memambetsu and returning in Kushiro will involve a drop-off charge and though it may cost more consider returning it in Sapporo or Otaru if you use it for the whole trip. On your initial plan are you taking a connecting flight from Sapporo to Memambetsu!? If not, consider renting directly from Sapporo or even Chitose Airport and do a loop course thus saving the drop-off charge.

From Sapporo to Shiretoko, places worth stopping by include Obihiro, Kushiro, Akan-ko Kusshoro-ko and Mashu-ko. From Shiretoko to Asahikawa, you can stop by Abashiri and Sounkyo. From Asahikawa drive down south to Biei, Furano, Noboribetsu and Toya-ko before coming back up to Otaru and Sapporo.

There are plenty in the above to fill up 10 days. You have to decide where you want to spend the nights and how long you want to stay at each location, bearing in mind that there are other worthwhile side trips or en-route stops from the listed places.

singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for Hokkaido 10 days mid-end Jul

i did consider driving throughout the entire journey, but i'll be the only person driving and i'm slightly worried that i'll be too tired for the entire journey.

For the accommodation part, i have yet to go into detailed planning. if i were to drive the entire loop, will 10 days be enough to cover?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,691 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for Hokkaido 10 days mid-end Jul

For 10 overnight stays here is a rough breakdown on a tight schedule of the mentioned loop course: 1 night each for Kushiro and Akan-ko, 2 nights for Shiretoko, 1 night each for Sounkyo and Asahikawa, 2 nights for Biei/Furano, 1 night for Noboribetsu/Toya-ko and 1 night for Otaru/Sapporo. It would be best to add another night for Sapporo or else replace it with the overnight stay in either Sounkyo or Asahikawa. And of course it would be ideal if you can extend the trip by a day or 2.

Driving in Hokkaido during summer time is quite relaxing and enjoyable. Traffic is light outside Sapporo. Even in Otaru and Asahikawa we found traffic was not that bad though a bit slow. Actually consider dropping your car for your visit in Sapporo and Otaru. Sapporo has a good subway network while Otaru is best explored on foot. On the other hand it is definitely an advantage if you have your own wheels to go around the various flower destinations in Furano and the scenic sites in Biei. During summer traffic between the 2 places would be heavier than normal but still not strenuous nor tiring due to the short distances between locations.

singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for Hokkaido 10 days mid-end Jul

hrm..i just saw that driving from Sapporo down to Shiretoko is 6 hours. might be abit tough for that.

What about i fly to Memanbetsu, drive to visit Shiretoko and Akan and fly to Sapporo for the 2nd leg? would that save some time?

I'll then rent a car from Sapporo and carry on the western route.

gotta work out the budget though..seems quite abit..

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,691 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for Hokkaido 10 days mid-end Jul

A straight drive from Sapporo to Shiretoko takes more than 7.5 hrs not just 6, but why would you need to do that!? If you are doing a loop course you will be spending time in between, staying overnights in places both to and from Shiretoko. And I don’t think too much time would be saved by taking domestic flights within Hokkaido itself considering the time spent on arriving at airport well in advance + the necessity of coping your itinerary with the flight schedules.

singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for Hokkaido 10 days mid-end Jul

thanks william..if that's the case, i will need to plan out an entire journey on road then. hopefully my wife learns to drive by then.

9. Re: Itinerary for Hokkaido 10 days mid-end Jul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 13:17